Thread: Go to end of file in vi editor of Linux

Go to end of file in vi editor of Linux

Hello friend, the last one month I have worked on the Linux operating system. At the time of working on the Linux I realized that there are so many limitations in this Operating system. I have work on the vi editor of the Linux and there is some kind of restrictions I have faced on it. Whenever I open this vi editor then it works well. In that time, when I want to go to the end of the file then only ctrl+d options is presents. If anyone knows other options then please inform me.

Re: Go to end of file in vi editor of Linux

Hey dude, there are also some solutions available over this trouble. I also faced the same kind of trouble. Then I read some articles of the Linux and it describes that the line command is present in this editor. Then you need to just use this command. It helps to jump directly on the last line of the file. Then there is no necessary to use the ctrl+d on this editor. This line command is special one for doing such kind of task. Then use it and it helps for go to the last line of file.

Hi, I also faced the same trouble. That time I am new in this UNIX based Linux operating system and I never know the brief idea about this OS. Initially when I try to work on the vi editor then faced this end of line trouble. In that time I even doesn’t know the ctrl+d options. Then after day by day I know this ctrl+d options and today after reading your post I get the perfect solutions to solve this trouble. I search the line command syntax. Then I found the result as “line G - go to particular line (or end-of-file)”.

There are natural solutions present in this vi editor. This will also provide the facility to directly jump on the last line of the file. That is go to the end of the file. The natural extension for the Linux vi editor is to be 0 for beginning and $ for end of a line. This is the most popular natural extensions. Most of the user who had work on the Linux OS vi editor has known this solutions. Whenever you want to go to the end of file then just enter the $ and then press enter. The cursor of editor directly goes to the last line of file.

Hey I will tell you the perfect solutions. You need to use the G symbol for doing this. If you want to go to the end of line then put this symbol on the prompt and then press enter. The cursor will goes on the end of file. The alternative solutions of this trouble are just press nG and then press enter. It goes to the n’th line. Then use this both kind of solutions. This will work very well and it helps you to solve the trouble. Then try these solutions and edit the text of the file in the last locations.