Thread: How can I play files with m3u extension on Mac OS X

How can I play files with m3u extension on Mac OS X

I am using computer which is having Mac OS X as its operating system. I was working on my computer and I found one mail on my mail account, so I read several things on it and it was an interesting article and there I found several files with .m3u extension. I downloaded all these files and when I tried to play these files then it were not getting played. So tell me how I play files of that extension and which player I need for playing such files.

Re: How can I play files with m3u extension on Mac OS X

I think that the files which you are having are not music files and so you are not able to play such files. I guess .m3u files are playlist files and not actual music files. So if you try playing such files then your player would load the music files from that file because playlist files are having reference to the actual music files. So if these particular music files are not there on your computer then the m3u files would not get properly loaded on your player and then it won’t play such files.

I have searched for the m3u file and I found that it is a steaming video file. So basically this file would get opened over internet where particular site would open that streaming video file. In order to open such file you need to search for a website which would open up these files. The best thing would be to read your article again as you have downloaded it from that source, so read the entire article again so that you would find the exact place from where you can play these files.

I even think that the m3u files that you have are streaming files. Actually these files are having a link in them so that when you open it or try to play then it tries to go to its source and then stream that video related to it. I guess you can find the URL of the site for which it is set for streaming, just try to open it on any text editor by dragging that file on the editor and see whether you get the link of the destination streaming video and able to play such files.

I think your files would get played on iTunes. The files with .m3u extensions are MP3 audio streaming files, so just try opening with iTunes. If not then drag that files to iTunes icon and then it would get played. I have also heard that users are not able to play these files even with iTunes, so I found out a solution for it. If the version of iTunes you are using is a latest one then you need to downgrade your iTunes to a lower version because this lower version could play such files and not the newer one.

I have searched for the solution on how to play m3u files and I found that you could play this using QuickTime player. First of all you need to know the URL of the m3u file and you can get this URL by opening with any text document. So when you get the URL, copy it and then open QuickTime player and there click on Open URL, now you have to paste the URL of the m3u file here and click ok. Then the player will try to connect to the destination and your file would get played.

You are using Mac operating system and if you want to play certain audio or video files then you should get a player which supports many extensions. I have been using VLC player and it is the best player which I recommend it to all because it is capable to play more number of extensions. You could get any media file in this player and it would get opened and in your case you want to play m3u files and I know VLC opens this file also so download that application in order to solve your problem.