Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

windows vista backup error. Cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

Operating Systems

Old 24-05-2011

windows vista backup error. Cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

Hi,

First time I've ever joined a forum of any sort, please be patient. I have been trying to backup files on a friends computer that was having problems loading. Ran repair disk and did system restore to get vista to load. I have read other post and have tried suggestions but still no luck. I am using the backup and restore program found in vista control panel. I am attempting to backup to DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have scanned disk for errors. I have attempted the Regedit fix but no "unusual" registry entries as described in previous threads. ONCE AGAIN I AM GETTING A MESSAGE THAT STATES: CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED. (0x80070002)

John

Old 24-05-2011

Re: windows vista backup error. Cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

You have a defective file a hard disk failure. Boot with the Vista DVD and select repair to the screening procedures that offers a Command Prompt console. In it, run: chkdsk / R. For that click on Start > Run and type cmd. In the command box type the above commands. At least, if you lose a file, the data sector as it will mark as invalid. Just check that the user running the backup job under administrators permissions. You must have a scheduled task backup and retry attempts to perform the backup so the error permanently.
Old 25-05-2011

Re: windows vista backup error. Cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

your post is somewhat misleading. you say run chkdsk /r in vista repair command prompt, okay. but then you say "for that" Start>Run>type cmd which would suggest that I would no longer be in a Vista DVD repair environment. Anyways, did as suggested in both environments. First, booted windows, Start>Run>cmd, chkdsk /r. Prompted for restart. Did so and chkdsk got hung at 19% very beginning of 2 of 5 (verifying indexes). Was stuck for 4-5 hours. Went to bed got up and windows had rebooted and I was at User Logon screen. Tried running backup, but got same error message. Tried running same chkdsk procedure and again hung up in same place. Forced hard restart. Inserted Vista reinstallation DVD, went to repair center>Command Prompt>C: chkdsk /r. Answered Y to force a dismount from this volume. This time check disk ran faster and at 10% but the beginning of stage 2 of 5, verifying indexes once again has hung up. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,