Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How can I make Dual Boot (Linux and Windows) on Separate Hard Drives

Operating Systems

Old 24-05-2011

How can I make Dual Boot (Linux and Windows) on Separate Hard Drives

I am using a windows xp and Now I have think it?s now outdated and I want to install the Linux on that but I want to keep the operating system "Windows xp " as well as "Linux" and i don't want to lose my files that are in my drive. Now I want the dual boot. And I should be able to access "windows xp" as well as the "Linux?. Installing on same drive will lead to lose my data that I don't want. Can anyone help me, please suggest some thing

Old 24-05-2011

Re: How can I make Dual Boot (Linux and Windows) on Separate Hard Drives

You can install the windows xp as well as Linux on same drive or on different drive. I recommended using a portable drive for other one. Simply boot as we are doing normally and take the back-up of data, and then proceed for installing another operating system. One mistake while installation can lead to loss the data. You can install the both operating system on same hard drive also but on different partition. And go for installation
Old 24-05-2011

You want to install both operating system, but on different hard drive, then not to worry. The hard drives on which you want to install the Operating system put it in a master and remove the other one till the installation process gets completed. You can install Linux or windows as first and then proceed for other one it?s up to you. Make sure that the jumper setting of master and slave is proper. Now install both hard drive as master and slave, you will be able to choose operating system which you want to use.
Old 24-05-2011

if you have completed installation of both operating system then also you are not able to start the newly loaded operating system or it is showing to choose which operating system you want to start. Change the following setting in your boot.ini files. I recommended to install windows xp first and then proceed for linux.open property of my computer and then click advance tab and select "setting" under that select start-up and recovery and under system startup click edit and add line multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Linux="name_of_operating_system" /fastdetect below multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
Old 24-05-2011

Converting a single disk-drive notebook computer into a dual-boot Windows XP/Ubuntu Linux system requires advance planning and careful execution of multiple sequences of steps. However, the benefit of being able to boot either Windows or Linux on a portable system, and to share data between the two, is well worth the effort for people who work in both realms. When you maintaining the partition size. Consider window NTFS partition for window, Linux ext3 partition for Linux.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,