Thread: “Cannot boot from cd code 5” error while installing windows 7

“Cannot boot from cd code 5” error while installing windows 7

I am running Windows XP on my computer from quite some time and everything was working fine. Yesterday I was trying to install Windows 7 in my pc and after inserting the Windows 7 disc when I tried to install it then I got an error message saying that "cannot boot from cd: code 5". I tried to clean the disc and again tried to install but got the same error. Can anyone tell me how can I solve this error message? Thanks

Re: “Cannot boot from cd code 5” error while installing windows 7

Can you check whether you CD/DVD drive is working fine in your computer. Are you able to play any movies or songs by inserting any video dvd or audio cd in your disc drive? I think that there could be a problem with your CD drive and hence it is not able to install Windows 7 operating system in your pc and hence giving the error message. Can you try to use any other CD/DVD drive and check if that is able to boot the OS disc?

I think that the Code 5 error that you are getting might be related to the lack of support to the controllers chipset. The Windows 7 DVD doesnt support the boot from an Intel 865PE chipset. So, check to make sure that your computer is capable of running Windows 7, if it is not then you will have to upgrade your system so that it can run Windows 7 installation properly.

The installation issue that you are facing might not be in the Windows 7 DVD but the motherboard bios that you have. If it is not Windows 7 ready then it will not support boot from dvd. Can you try to use the same Windows 7 DVD on some new PC that is high end and then check if it can boot properly. Also, if possible then try to update the BIOS of your motherboard and see if that helps.