Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Computer keeps asking open with for every file

Operating Systems

Old 19-05-2011

Computer keeps asking open with for every file

I am using Windows 7 on my computer and whenever I am trying to open any program then it always gives me the option to Open With. When I try to run as administrator then the program opens fine but other things like Control Panel dont have that option, so most of the things I cannot open in my computer. This problem started happening when I got a weird message from my antivirus. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this problem? Thanks

Old 19-05-2011

Re: Computer keeps asking open with for every file

It seems that you have got a problem of virus in your system and you will need to remove it asap. I would suggest you to boot your pc in Safe Mode and then try to scan your pc with any other online antivirus software available. To boot in safe mode, restart your pc and then continuously press F8 key on your keyboard until you get the option to Safe Mode. After login to safe mode, do what I have said and then restart normally and check if everything is working fine or not.
Old 19-05-2011

Re: Computer keeps asking open with for every file

It seems that the file association for .exe files in your system is broken. So you will have to restore the file association for same to windows default settings. To do that simply click on this link to download the .exe registry file that can solve the broken extension. Also, as discussed above you will need to remove any malware residing in your computer which can again corrupt the file extension in your computer.
Old 20-05-2011

Have you checked the article given on microsoft website about "When you run an .exe file on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program" from here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505. The article describes how to reset the registry subkey for the file association of the .exe file back to the default setting in your Windows 7 computer. Hope this helps.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,