Thread: Windows 7 declines to connect to NAS

Windows 7 declines to connect to NAS

It looks many are having this trouble- Windows 7 doesn't wish to connect to NAS devices. The NAS can be viewed in Explorer but while twice clicked the user name and password are frequently asked for - up till now I know them to be correct. A rapid Google discloses lots of out there with the similar trouble - but not anything 'official' from Microsoft - up to now as a minimum. So, anyone have any further detail on this? Please let me know if you find anything regarding this issue.

Re: Windows 7 declines to connect to NAS

If you have searched, you would discover that when there have been troubles connecting to NAS devices, it is because the NAS devices aren't well-matched with Vista/Win7 and generally require a firmware update. This is up to the NAS device MFTR to offer, not Microsoft. NAS devices run a few taste of fixed Linux, frequently with an older edition of Samba. Vista did have troubles connecting to Unix/Linux computers and devices and Vista did need the LAN Manager verification to be changed to work with Samba. Windows 7, though, does not. My Windows 7 box has no troubles connecting to my OS X and Linux machines.

I stay to be certain that this is not a Windows 7 trouble- somewhat because of the number and variety of troubles I have read about having been fraught with my own trouble for some time and having read a stack of site posts. I have a variety of machines on my LAN (Win XP, Win 2000 and a Link station NAS running a Linux alternative) and all have worked musically together (in a workgroup). Unluckily my newly obtained Windows 7 machine cannot access shared resources on the Link station or the shared printer that is presently on the Windows 2000 machine and is shared to be obtainable to anybody connected to the network. At one point I was able to share access a shared file on an XP but even that looks to be occupied now.

I have the exact similar trouble having just acquired a new laptop running Windows 7. Each other client on the network is running XP SP3 and connects lacking trouble to both my Linux NAS devices. The Windows 7 laptop will attach to these XP devices but not the Linux shares even though it can see them on the network. Don't be persisting on a firmware upgrade of the NAS devices while XP clients connect completely to my Linux shares. If XP works, Windows 7 should too.

I can guarantee that it's not a Windows 7 trouble (well in a circuitous way it is). The trouble is because of Microsoft dropping the older anxious verification way in LAN Manager in an attempt to make Windows 7 a safer OS. This technique is in wide scale utilize on older versions of Windows 2000, Vista, OSX, and older revisions of SAMBA that is what 98% of NAS Storage boxes utilize. So as said the fix is to either
    1. Utilize a more current edition of SAMBA (i.e. a Firmware update on the NAS box, that's arrogant they update SAMBA in the firmware)
    2. Utilize that registry 'fix' to re-facilitate the old insecure technique.