Thread: No meld module named as pygtk

No meld module named as pygtk

Hello everyone, I am using CentOS 5.5 with 64bit since from 6 months and from the 1st installation I am getting the below mentioned error:
    $ meld
    Code:
    No module named pygtk
    Meld requires pygtk2.6.0 or higher.
    $ 
    I thought it will get solve automatically, but it didn’t do such thing, when I opened the log for it, I got below logs:
    $ yum search python|grep gtk
    gnome-python2-gtkhtml2.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with gtkhtml2
    gnome-python2-gtkmozembed.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with
                                     : gtkmozembed
    gnome-python2-gtksourceview.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with the
                                       : gtksourceview library
    gnome-python2-gtkspell.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with gtkspell
    gtk-vnc-python.x86_64 : Python bindings for the gtk-vnc library
    pygtk2.x86_64 : Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set.
    $ sudo yum install pygtk2
    Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    So can anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

Re: No meld module named as pygtk

Hey I have gone through to your problem, and after reading your logs I did some search on it and I have got logs for information on general problem which can help you to solve your problem:
    Code:
    == BEGIN uname -rmi ==
    2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 x86_64 x86_64
    == END   uname -rmi ==

== BEGIN rpm -qa \*-release\* ==
    centos-release-5-5.el5.centos
    adobe-release-i386-1.0-1
    rpmfusion-free-release-5-0.1
    elrepo-release-0.1-1.el5.elrepo
    centos-release-notes-5.5-0
    rpmfusion-nonfree-release-5-0.1
    epel-release-5-4
    rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el5.rf
    silfreednet-release-1.1-1.el5
    == END   rpm -qa \*-release\* ==

== BEGIN cat /etc/redhat-release ==
    CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
    == END   cat /etc/redhat-release ==

== BEGIN getenforce ==
    Permissive
    == END   getenforce ==
    Just check it and see it is working for you or not.

Hello friend, I think this problem occurs due to some add-ons, you might be using some add-ons which may contain some error. You need to check below logs for it:
    Code:
    $

*addons: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
     * base: centos.mirror.netriplex.com
     * drbl: free.nchc.org.tw
     * epel: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
     * extras: mirrors.tummy.com
     * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
     * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.tummy.com
     * rpmfusion-free-updates-testing: mirrors.tummy.com
     * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.tummy.com
     * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing: mirrors.tummy.com
     * updates: mirror.stanford.edu
    1830 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
    Setting up Install Process
    Package pygtk2-2.10.1-12.el5.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do
    $
    Some this kind of problem occurs due to some suspicious fusion updates and drbl file. So use above logs on your system, All the Best!

Hey dude, as per my knowledge with boatload of 3rd party repos installed, which is easy to break such things. As per my analysis with your logs I can say that you are not having yum priorities configured for almost each and every repos defined on your system. As you are using meld package from RPM forge with pygtk.py which is provided by pygobject2, you need to check that what it returns, as mentioned in above logs just check for the pygtk.py, as per my opinion the problem is from that only. So just do the necessary changes to it and solve your error.

Hey I was having the same error on my system with same red hat Linux operating system. As the problem was same I also didn’t concentrate on yum files. After that there was yum-fu lacking, so for that reason I tried to erase pygobject2, and tried to install and lock the one of RPM forge, because there no dependencies on pygobject2. When I did this I got though to my problem, so looking at above post you also need to do the same as I did. Hopefully it will solve your problem, if you find my solution as problem solving then reply to this post, thanks you and all the best!

Hi to all on this forum, I am completely agreed with the above post and I can say that you must do the same, because I have also solved my problem using this method. If you are able to add “exclude = pygobject2” to CentOS base and update repos, then you will be able to see the RPM forge extra and testing to your yum. If you are getting following logs then, your problem is solved:
    Code:
    # yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * addons: mirror.steadfast.net
     * base: mirror.chpc.utah.edu
     * extras: centos.mirrors.tds.net
     * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
     * updates: mirrors.kernel.org
    repo id                                                          repo name                                                                            status
    addons                                                           CentOS-5 - Addons                                                                    enabled:      0
    adobe-linux-i386                                                 Adobe Systems Incorporated                                                           enabled:     18
    base                                                             CentOS-5 - Base                                                                      enabled:  3,434
    extras                                                           CentOS-5 - Extras                                                                    enabled:    296
    rpmforge                                                         RHEL 5 - RPMforge.net - dag                                                          enabled: 10,393
    updates                                                          CentOS-5 - Updates                                                                   enabled:  1,135
    virtualbox                                                       RHEL/CentOS-5 / x86_64 - VirtualBox                                                  enabled:     12
    repolist: 15,288
    #

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thank you to all, because of you all I have come out of my problem, I don’t have more words to explain you about it. I read each and every logs properly and accurately, I have tried to apply logs, which are mentioned in 1st and 2nd answer. And then my friend wrote about pygobject2 and then I did the same as mentioned above. And I got the appropriate log, but for getting this logs, it took my kernel to be updated, I updated my kernel and then I tried to exclude pygobject2. Finally I got the solution and now I am not seeing any error on my console. Thanks again!