Thread: Unable to update kernel using CentOS 5.5

Unable to update kernel using CentOS 5.5

Hello everyone, I am expecting a lot of help from you as I am facing too much problem on my system. I am using XEN CentOS 5.5 64 bit with kernel version of 2.6.18-164.el5xen, just 2 days before I came to know that my current kernel version is old and there is newer version available, so I tried to update twice, but I am not getting success in it. I am not able to find grub.conf in etc and boot, I have tried to do manual installation but still result is the same. So can anyone help me to come out of this? Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Unable to update kernel using CentOS 5.5

Hey I think I gave got the solution for you after reading your post. Just try to install 2.6.18-194.32.1el5 version of kernel for your system. You can also install it manually after downloading it from the official website of centos. And another thing, you might have not set your system on auto update, just try to do some changes in bootloader configurations. Set the value on auto update and let the system automatically update latest version of the kernel as per its requirement. And keep in mind that kernel should be of version of 2.6.18-194.32.1el5, because it supports your system configuration. So all the best and solve your problem.

Hey I am completely agreed with the above post, because I am using the same version of kernel in my system and I am not facing any update issue. I have some logs for you, if you are getting the below logs then your problem must be solved:

Code:
    == BEGIN getenforce ==
    Disabled
    == END   getenforce ==

== BEGIN rpm -qa kernel\* | sort ==
    kernel-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5
    kernel-debuginfo-common-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
    kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
    kernel-xen-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
    kernel-xen-2.6.18-238.1.1.el5
    kernel-xen-debuginfo-2.6.18-238.1.1.el5
    kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-238.1.1.el5
    == END   rpm -qa kernel\* | sort ==

== BEGIN lspci ==
    == END   lspci ==

== BEGIN lspci -n ==
    == END   lspci -n ==

Hello, I have seem your problem, if you are not knowing how to change the value of auto update property, then follow the below steps:
    • Go to /boot/grub/grub.config path.
    • Look for the default value which shows your kernel
    • Set the value to “0” to boot the first kernel
    • Set the value to “1” to boot the second kernel

Keep in mind that you are changing the value of XEN kernel, after tha reboot the system, it will solve problem and it will update automatically.

Well, I was having the same error, I was also not able to update the XEN kernel, but with the help of one of my friend, I followed the exact steps which are mentioned in above post. After updating kernel, it looks like below written, and if you also get the same then your problem is solved:

Code:
    default=0                                                                                                         
    timeout=5                                                                                                         
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz                                                                            
    hiddenmenu                                                                                                        
    title CentOS (2.6.18-194.32.1.el5xen)                                                                             
      root (hd0,0)                                                                                                    
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 console=xvc0                            
      initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5xen.img                                                                       
    title CentOS (2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen)                                                                             
      root (hd0,0)                                                                                                    
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 console=xvc0                            
      initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen.img                                                                       
    title CentOS (2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen)                                                                             
      root (hd0,0)                                                                                                    
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 console=xvc0                            
      initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen.img

Hello everyone, I also wanted to share some information on the kernel problem. As per my suggestion if you are getting such error in updating kernel then you need to update your whole CentOS, I am not telling that above posts are wrong, actually I am agreed with them, but looking at your problem the best option will be updating whole system. when you do such update also check in /etc/sysconfig/kernel folder that your default kernel is XEN. It will be more helpful for you if you take a look at /getinfo.sh basic folder, logs of these folders will help you. So just try it and try to solve your error.

Hello everyone, finally I got the proper update of XEN kernel, I tried all the above mentioned solutions and possibilities to fix my problem. manual installation didn’t worked for me, after that I tried to apply default setting to kernel and auto update worked for me but I didn’t got the specific kernel which is mentioned in above posts, but for the time being it has solved my problem, so I am using it and after getting proper information I will update my whole system. I wanted to thank you all for your precious solutions, and also for replying to my post.