Thread: How to create System Restore Points in Windows

How to create System Restore Points in Windows

I recently came across the topic called 'Scheduled Restore Points' in which Microsoft has clearlt mentioned that: “A scheduled restore point is created by Windows only if in last 7 days of time, no other restore points were created". Now I am confused that if the above statement is true then whether the Task Scheduler is scheduling the creation of Restore Points or not. I have noticed that the task scheduler is not creating any restore point of Startup at 13:00 on few selected days. I am very much confused. So I wanted to know, how we can create System restore point manually in Windows.

Re: How to create System Restore Points in Windows

You can create System Restore Point in Windows XP by following the below steps
    • Click on the Start menu
    • Go to the following path: All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Double click on System Restore to start the System restore wizard
    • Click on Create a restore point, and then click on the Next button.
    • In the Restore point description box, insert a name for the restore point and click on the Create option.
    • Click on the Close button when you are finished creating the restore point.
    • If you need to restore the system to a particular point or change the options Windows uses to set restore points use the System Restore tool as well.

Restore points can be created in Windows 7 by following these few steps:
    1. Click on the Windows Orb
    2. Go to Computer and select properties option by right-clicking Computer.
    3. Select System protection. And if the system prompts for any administrator password or confirmation, insert the necessary password or give confirmation.
    4. Select the System Protection tab, and click on Create button.
    5. A dialog box will appear. Insert the necessary description and the click on Create button.
    6. The system will create the restore point. Once the restore point is created, click on Close button followed by clicking OK

I also have a method to create restore points in Windows XP but it is little different form the usual method. Please follow these few steps:
    • Open Notepad or any other text editor.
    • Type the below three lines as they are into the text editor (it would be better if your cut and paste it from here):
      Code:
      Set IRP = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")
      strDescription = InputBox("Restore point description: ","My Restore Point")
      MYRP = IRP.createrestorepoint (strDescription, 0, 100)
    • Save this file in some location where you can easily access it, it would be better if your save it on your desktop. Save it as CreateRestorePoint.vbs or any name of your choice but in .vbs file format.
    • Whenever you wish to create a restore point, just double click on this CreateRestorePoint.vbs (VBS file) you have saved.
    • A dialog box will be displayed when you execute the following VBS file.
      Name the new Restore point and click on OK button to create a new Restore point.

Computerhacker63 Guest

Real simple just go to start all programs accessories system tools and system restore then just create from there on hope it helps!

Thank you guys for those amazing suggestions which you guys gave me in your replies in the above post. It feels so great to know that still there are peoples like you guys who are always available to help other, no matter whether they are benefited by doing the same or not. I was looking for methods to create Restore point in my Windows 7 and you provided me with information on Windows XP as well. I would seriously recommend my friends as well as others to visit your forum for any future assistance.