Thread: Grub doesn't automatically boot CentOS

Grub doesn't automatically boot CentOS

I have used CentOS for a while and I install grub software on the system. This grub is a boot loader software package which provides a user the choice to boot one of multiple operating systems installed on a computer. I can only install this Centos and I want the grub automatically boot this OS. But it does not do this and I need to enter the command for start the boot process. I need help to solve the trouble. The CentOS contain on the ext3 partition of 100MB space.

Re: Grub doesn't automatically boot CentOS

Hey I think you need to check that any option present in this software. Normally the software holds this kind of option and it helpful to automatically boot the OS. As per you had says you only install the CentOS and also this software doesn’t automatically boot it. This happen in the system because the installed GNU GRUB is not finding /boot/grub/grub.conf. The grub.conf will help to automatically boot the OS. You need to either restore this software. I think it work and the trouble is solved.

Hey I also faced the same kind of issue and I found that the grub.conf file is missing in this grub folder. Then I decided to reinstall this software. Then I read the manual and as per the command mention in that uninstall the grub boot loader software. Then reboot the system and again install this software. It helps me to avoid such kind of trouble. Now I don’t need to always enter the manual command for start the CentOS boot operation.

It could be possible that the grub software is affected by some virus and hence the automatically boot file is missing in the system. For checking the file is missing or not I used the fdisk –l and then insert the blkid | sort command and run this command. It displays the number of files present in the directory. Then I found that the file is missing from the directory. Then I use restore option and insert the file into that directory. Now the trouble is solved and it works very well.

As per you mentioning that gub.conf file are helpful to automatically boot the OS. But I want to see the type of code or data present in this file. Then I use the inbuilt command and then it helps a lot to understand the kind of code present in this file. These file contain the information of the OS such as default OS name, its version and the other related information such as root, kernel and init rd. This file also holds the other installed OS information.