Thread: which one is the best file system for linux?

which one is the best file system for linux?

Can anyone recommend me the proper file system for my Linux? I had heard about the ext2 and ext3, but I don’t have any more information about neither of them. But when I was about to install the Linux it was prompting for the formation of windows through any of file system. Thus I am confused which one is better to format with? Do it reflect any changes while operating? Which one shall I prefer?

Re: which one is the best file system for linux?

You are right, there are multiple file system in operating system, they are used to actually organized the hard drives.Ext2 is an very older Linux file system. It is still been used by flash drives, because the main reason behind it is, It doesn't write to the drive that often, and flash drives can be written to only a limited number of times before wearing out. But other than that it was replaced by ext3. I would like to suggest you can do it by xt3, its good.

The main reason of being replaced by the ext2 is Journaling. Journaling file systems keep a record, or journal, if some changes is occurred to the main file system. With this, the most important feature is like if the file system crashes, it is much easier to restore the data within a working condition with maintaining the consistency of data. EXT4 is also best as it provides faster access, and support almost 1 EB (exabyte) and up to 16 TB (terabyte)-sized files.

The newest member in the EXT file system family is Ext4, which became an very administrative part of Linux, when they produced the Linux 2.6.28 kernel. It enables faster disk performance and organization of file management than structuring its predecessors. Well it also includes journaling as EXT2 has, but with a better option of providing on and off facility in it. we can turn that off for a modest speed boost.

I would recommend you that you can also refer to JFS, it is also best. High performance and scalability makes it more productive. It has a POSIX extended access control mechanism. But as you had mentioned you are not aware actually at that time I strongly believe that you have to go with any Ext version, otherwise NSS was best, as its file sharing feature enhance it lead to achieving maximum scalability.

I haven’t tried JFS or Reiser4 but I had got news about it like it utilizes more resources as it is built to handle the large amount of file. I had worked with almost each file system except this two among them EXT3 is the only best and stable. You can normally prefer any one of them because the difference between them is very none actually.