Thread: Error message while login into VSFTPD on CentOS 5.5

Error message while login into VSFTPD on CentOS 5.5

I have recently installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. I have also installed VSFTPD. When I make an attempt to login on the same by using any browser or the command line it is prompting an error message which can be stated as follow.
    # ftp 172.16.0.3
    Connected to 172.16.0.3.
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
    530 Please login with USER and PASS.
    530 Please login with USER and PASS.
    KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    Name (172.16.0.3:root): system
    530 Permission denied.
    Login failed.
    Let me know if you are having any possible fix to solve the problem of mine. any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Error message while login into VSFTPD on CentOS 5.5

It is really hard to find out the root cause of the problem so I am looking to have some more information which you should answer so that I can tell you about the further steps which you should use to troubleshoot the problem of yours. Can you tell me about the hardware or software configuration of the computer? Can you post the entire vsftpd.conf file so that I can examine the same and tell you about the solution to solve the matter.

Looking at the situation of yours I am suggesting that you should check the /etc/pam.d/vsftpd on the computer of yours. also you should try with the below mentioned setting and see whether it is working or not.
    Code:
    pam_service_name=vsftpd
    Also you can refer the pam.d/vsftpd file of mine to get help from the same.
    Code:
    auth required pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/vsftpd/ftpusers onerr=succeed
    auth required pam_shells.so
    auth include system-auth
    account include system-auth
    session include system-auth
    session required pam_loginuid.so

I think the error message which you are getting can be ignored. I am highly suspecting that this particular problem is occurring because you are putting the users into the /var/www/html directory. Also let me know whether you have turned on the selinux on the computer. If your answer is yes then it would become a restricted area for the FTP users. So I recommend that you should turn off the selinux on the system and see whether it is making any difference in the situation.

Well the VSFTPD can run on either inetd or it can be run as a standalone daemon started from the initscript. You should run the same into standalone mode and simply enable the listen option into the configuration file by entering {{{1}}}. You can also do the same by adding yes. If there is yes option is already added then you should change the same to No. also you should configure the router of yours for the port forwarding.

I am highly suspecting that this particular problem is occurring due to corruption of the file on the computer of yours. Well I recommend that you should remove the VSFTPD by using the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    Code:
    YUM REMOVE VSFTPD
    Once you have removed the same you should reinstall VSFTPD on the computer and see whether it is working or not.