Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error message ?$HOME/.dmrc file is ignored? in CentOS 5.5

Operating Systems

Old 06-05-2011

Error message ?$HOME/.dmrc file is ignored? in CentOS 5.5

from past few days I am getting above mentioned error message on the computer of mine. Again I am positing the error message below ?User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored? it is preventing the default session and language which is saved on the computer. I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. let me know why this particular error message is occurring on the computer of mine? Can I erase the $HOME\.dmrc file? Let me know if you are aware of the any instruction to solve the problem of mine. any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 06-05-2011

Re: Error message ?$HOME/.dmrc file is ignored? in CentOS 5.5

Looking at the matter of yours I am suggesting the following command which you should run the terminal of the computer of yours and post the output of the same over here so that I can view the same and let you know about the possible solution for the troubleshoot.
Code:
ls -ld ~
ls -la ~/.dmrc
Additionally I wanted to know about the hardware as well as software configuration of the computer of yours.
Old 06-05-2011

I am posting the output of the above mentioned command over here. /home/p/.dmrc is containing the following two lines.
Code:
[Desktop]
Session=default
Output of the ls -ld ~ can be mentioned as follow.
Code:
drwxrwxrwx 18 p p 4096 Mar 1 09:28 /home/p
finally the output of the ls -la ~/.dmrc command is as follow.
Code:
-rw------- 1 p p 26 Mar 3 2010 /home/p/.dmrc
Old 06-05-2011

Looking at the output of the ls -ld ~ command.
Code:
drwxrwxrwx 18 p p 4096 Mar 1 09:28 /home/p
I am suggesting that you should simply run the following command on the terminal.
Code:
chmod go-w ~
it would simply remove the group and all the other permission from the home directory and simply fix the matter of yours.
Old 06-05-2011

Let me know whether you have installed something on the computer which have screwed up the file permission of the home directory. You should boot the computer of yours into recovery mode by using the GRUB menu and run the following command on the terminal.
Code:
chmod 644 /home/username/.dmrc
after doing the same reboot the computer by using the below mentioned command.
Code:
shutdown -r now
Old 07-05-2011

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here. After doing lots of research work I have managed to resolve the issue of mine. I am suggesting following piece of code which you should use to fix the problem of mine.
Code:
sudo chmod 644 /home/ricardimo/.dmrc
sudo chown ricardisimo /home/ricardisimo/.dmrc
sudo chmod -R 700 /home/ricardisimo
sudo chown -R ricardisimo /home/ricardisimo
Let me know the command which I have mentioned over here helped you out or not.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,