Thread: How to make backup script by using TAR with using simple FTP over the another location?

How to make backup script by using TAR with using simple FTP over the another location?

I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the system of mine. I am looking to have some backup script by using /TAR incremental backup with the simple FTP on to another location and also email status. It should be also able to measure the time which is required to finish the process and it should remove the folder which are older than that of specific number of days. So let me know if you are having any possible solution to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to make backup script by using TAR with using simple FTP over the another location?

I am suggesting the following files which are included on the TAR in the below mentioned list.
    Code:
    /var/
    /etc/
    /home/
    Also the following list of the file which is being excluded into TAR can be listed as follow.
    Code:
    proc
    *_log*
    var/tmp
    var/lib/bluetooth
    var/lib/cs
    var/lib/dav
    var/lib/dbus
    var/lib/dhcpv6
    var/lib/dovecot
    var/lib/games
    var/lib/rpm
    var/lib/webalizer
    var/lib/yum
    var/tmp/arhiv_serverja
    var/log
    var/run
    var/www/manual
    var/yp
    var/lib/php/session
    spool
    cache
    *zip
    *gz
    etc/rc*
    home/httpd/manual
    rpm

Re: How to make backup script by using TAR with using simple FTP over the another location?

I have made the script and placed the same on the /usr/tmp/server_backup directory. One can have root access while running the script in the computer of yours.
    Code:
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
    The archive.sg in /usr/local/bin is as follow.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd /usr/tmp/server_backup
    ./backup.sh                          # the real script to make backup

I am suggesting the script which you have done on the computer of yours. it is named as backup.sh and I have mentioned the same as follow.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# DELETE archive older than -mtime +'days'
    find . -name 'BACKUP*.tgz' -mtime +20 -delete
    find . -name 'stopwatch*' -mtime +2 -delete

start1=$(date +"%T h   ( %s )")
    start=$(date +%s)

# on SUNDAY make FULL backup
    if [ $(date +"%a") = "Sun" ]; then
    {
    SNAPSHOTFILE="./usr-full";				# needed by TAR (GNU-TAR to be precise) which is used to compare for incremental backups
    ARCHIVENAME=BACKUP-full-$(date +"%F-%a-%H-%M-%Sh").tgz;					# self explaining
    rm -f "./usr-full";
    }

else
    {
    ARCHIVENAME=BACKUP-$(date +"%F-%a-%H-%M-%Sh").tgz;
    # a name of a backup file:  BACKUP-2009-12-15-Fri-01-15-01h.tgz
    SNAPSHOTFILE="./usr-1";
    cp "./usr-full" "./usr-1";
    }
    fi

echo $ARCHIVENAME >archivename.txt		# need the name to FTP transfer so store it in file archivename.txt which doesn't change (used later in lftpscript.sh ) !
    # creating text to send in email
    echo "-----------------------" >stopwatch-$archivename.txt
    echo "Backup of $ARCHIVENAME" >>stopwatch-$archivename.txt
    echo "-----------------------" >>stopwatch-$archivename.txt
    echo " " >>stopwatch-$archivename.txt              # echo " " makes new line /CR or LF whatever it does
    # I do not need this precise time { time tar -T including.txt -X excluding.txt -pczvRf $ARCHIVENAME; } 2>> stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt >/dev/null
    { tar -T including.txt -X excluding.txt -pczvR --listed-incremental=$SNAPSHOTFILE  -f $ARCHIVENAME; } 2>> stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt >/dev/null

stopped1=$(date +"%T h   ( %s )")
    stopped=$(date +%s)
    ftpstarted=$stopped

thetime=$(($stopped-$start))			# doing some math in shell that's why $()

echo " " >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo -n "File Size (Byte-s) : " >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    ls -al "$ARCHIVENAME" | cut -f 5 -d ' ' >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    # this part | cut -f 5 -d ' '   is sometimes maybe 6 instead of 5, experiment which gives you only the SIZE of the file
    echo "Started: " $start1 >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo "Stopped: " $stopped1 >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo "Time needed: " $(date -d "1970-01-01 $thetime sec" +"%H:%M:%S")      /  $thetime "secs" >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    # outputs: Time needed: 00:03:14 / 194 secs

echo "-----------------------" >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo "FTP start:" >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    # again I dont need exact time procedure { time ./lftpscript.sh; } 2>> stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    { ./lftpscript.sh; } 2>> stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt

ftpstop1=$(date +"%T h   ( %s )")
    ftpstopped=$(date +%s)

ftptime=$(($ftpstopped-$ftpstarted))

echo "Start of FTP: " $stopped1 >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo "End of FTP: " $ftpstop1 >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    echo "Time of FTP transfer: " $(date -d "1970-01-01 $ftptime sec" +"%H:%M:%S")     /   $ftptime "secs" >>stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt

mail -s "Backup of $ARCHIVENAME" "email address of recipient" <stopwatch-$ARCHIVENAME.txt
    #finally email report :-)
    So use the above mentioned and let me know if there is bug in the script which I have mentioned above.

Well in this particular situation you need to untar the archive file like you do with any of the other file on the system of yours. one thing you should consider while doing the same and it seems to be really important. You should chdir to the directory where you are looking to extract the back up file on the computer. Mainly you can use /var/tmp. If you don’t do the same then the backup file of yours would be overwritten with the extracted file.

You should use the below mentioned command on the terminal while extracting the backup file to the original place.
    Code:
    /var/tmp/extracted-backup/# tar xzvf /usr/tmp/server_backup/BACKUP-full-'file date you want'.tgz
    Once you have done with the above mentioned command you should copy the desired file and paste the same to the desired location. So use the same command while copying the file to the desire location.