Thread: How to change the size of the /tmp on CentOS 5.5?

How to change the size of the /tmp on CentOS 5.5?

I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. I have also installed VMWARE 7.1 on the system of mine. after installing the same I have noticed that the I was unable to edit the size of the partition on which I have installed VMWARE 7.1. I am looking to have larger /tmp size but due to this particular reason I was unable to get the same. let me know how can I change the /tmp file size on the computer of mine. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to change the size of the /tmp on CentOS 5.5?

Looking at the query of yours I am suggesting that you should use kickstart file to declare the partition on the computer of yours. if you are looking to have larger /tmp than you need to set the same at the time of the installation. The simplest way to get the same you should commend out the /temp line into the /etc/fstab and simply add the tmpfs file system. It will give you more /tmp space. However any data would not persist after rebooting or remounting.

The thing which is mentioned in the previous post can be implemented by using the following piece of the code.
    Code:
    none            /tmp     tmpfs     defaults    0 0
    there could be the more ways to get the requirement of yours however it could be the fastest way to get the requirement of yours. I am hoping that the command which is mentioned over here would be useful to get the requirement of yours.

You can provide /tmp is a shared memory then that of providing an actual mount point. Another way to increase the size of the /tmp partition is providing the fstab. For example you need to use the following thing on the computer.
    Code:
    none /tmp tmpfs size=2G 0 0
    it will give you size of the 2Gb on the /tmp partition on the hard disk of yours. Also you can do the resizing of the partition of the hard disk on the computer.

Looking at the requirement of yours I am suggesting that you should add a virtual disk of the desire size which you are looking on the /tmp. You can format the same as ext3 and mount the same /tmp file on the hard disk of yours. I think you need be careful while partitioning the hard disk. You can use the custom partitioning and you should check the box in order to review the results after the default partitioning on the computer of yours.

I was having the same query which you have mentioned over here. You have to choose the .iso to install from which you are looking to have installation on the computer. VMware would detect the Operating system and it will let you to do easy install feature. It would be an unattended install and simply set everything for you. You should not choose .iso image at the time creating VM rather than you should choose the same after VM is being created.