Thread: CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 5.6 Updates: Error while updating kernel-PAE

CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 5.6 Updates: Error while updating kernel-PAE

I am looking to update CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 5.6. I have done the same successfully but I was failing to do the same while updating the kernel. I am looking to update the kernel to the kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and it results into an error message. Let me know if you are having any idea why this particular error is being occurring during updating the kernel. Let me know if you are having any solution to resolve the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 5.6 Updates: Error while updating kernel-PAE

It seems to be unable to figure out the thing because you have not provided sufficient information regarding the computer. So tell me about the entire information regarding the computer of yours. you told me that you are getting an error message while updating the kernel so you should post the error message which you are getting on the screen over here. I am waiting for the answers of the above mentioned question over here.

Let me know whether you have restarted the computer after installing the updates? If you are answer is no then I recommend that you should reboot the computer of yours and then go for the updating of the kernel on the system of yours. I am sure that you will be update the kernel after restarting the computer. if you are looking to get further assistance on this particular topic then feel free to ask the same over here.

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here. However I have managed to fix the problem of mine. Well I have done the following steps to resolve the matter.
    • I have done yum update in order to upgrade to CentOS 5.6.
    • It seems to be hang during the kernel update hence I have removed the kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.
    • After doing the same I have rebooted the computer of mine.
    • Now I have done the yum update and simply installed the kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.
    • Again I have restarted the computer of mine.

I am highly suspecting that this particular issue being happening due to bug issue into the kernel update. So I recommend that you contact the developer and simply report a bug file to the developer of the software. Well the developer would work on the situation and fixed the bug and they will release the patch as soon as they have fixed the bug into the kernel update. Once the patch is being released by the developer you can apply the same.

I have noticed that there are number of users who are having the same problem while upgrading CentOS 5.5 to CentOS 5.6. So I don’t recommend that you should go for the updagarding of the CentOS until and unless there is no fixing of bug from the developer side. I am suspecting that buggy operating system will create technical issues while using the same. so please consider the point of mine before doing upgrading.