Thread: Two copies of Win 7 on same HDD

Two copies of Win 7 on same HDD

I purchased a new HDD for my computer. It is theHitachi 7K1000.C. I installed drive (both of the drives are SATA 3.0). I didn't partition it since I am intended to utilize my 320G WD to accomplish my back-ups on. After that I downloaded DriveImage XML as well as copied an image of the previous drive to the Hitachi. After that I went to BIOS and put the Hitachi as Disk 1 and WD as Disk 2. I after that tried to restart and got the error which says BOOTMGR is missing. Therefore I place in my recovery disc and did repairs. I booted up over again and now I have two edition of Windows 7 on similar HDD. When I select one and boot up and go to the Performance then it have WD listed like the main drive. Please tell me that how can I take the additional copy out of my drive?

Re: Two copies of Win 7 on same HDD

I'm not very good at what amounts to a dual boot set. Anyway you can try the following and see if that can help. First remove the old disk. (By the way you left it in its original port by adding a new unit?) This preserves its integrity. After that reboot the system with the new drive installed. However, if you can boot that way to try a system restore to a point before adding the second instance of the operating system. That should leave a single instance of Windows 7 in the new unit.

Your original disk is the Western Digital. Its contents consisted of everything. You added in the new Hitatchi and put a copy of your old drive onto it, including OS, etc? Got an error on boot, used the recovery CD and now you have multiple versions of Windows 7 that it asks you to decide between? A screenshot of your Disk management screen would be helpful to narrow down this problem. The only way to get rid of an OS completely is to reformat the drive, or if it is partitioned, reformat the partition. But we can decide the course of action possible when we know a bit more.

There are a number of methods you can use. If you have the .exe files saved somewhere you can reinstall any programs using them. Otherwise a fresh install would be best. THAT should not be your worry right now. If you have a failing hard drive then we would have no idea when it will fail completely or what is physically wrong with it. The very first thing I would do is to grab everything that is important to you (photos, documents etc. and move them to some form of external media such as an external HDD. Just drag and drop everything you need. You have to work under the assumption that the next time you open the drive will be the last. I would worry less about settings and more about data. If the HDD doesn't fail completely then we can work without worry.

The simplest method to take away an entry within the Windows 7 Boot Configuration is to make use of msconfig.

To launch msconfig:
    1. Click Start
    2. In the Search text box, type msconfig
    3. Launch msconfig by choosing it from search results on top of search text box.

After msconfig is launched:
    1. Go to Boot tab
    2. Choose boot entry you desire to delete.
    3. Click Delete button and after that click OK.

Confirm to be logged in to Windows 7 partition you desire to maintain when doing these steps therefore you don't remove good installation accidentally.

Sorry been so long, but I've been spending much time setting. I finally just did a full install, new Windows 7 in the new hard disk. My WD is now strictly for the back of the UPS system and I can split a small amount of it to store music and photos. I have a third drive connected, a 30 G IDE an old Dell I had. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but it's there and I thought it would be nice to put three inches also upgraded my RAM last night, so now I have 8GB of RAM. I also opened two processor cores on me and have been running stable for several days. I have not stress tested yet, but plan to this weekend. Everything is good so far. Thanks for all the support.