Thread: How to get existing Linux Installation from the one computer to boot from another?

How to get existing Linux Installation from the one computer to boot from another?

I am having Dell Precision 690 on which I have made dual boot setup with Windows XP and CentOS 5.5. both the OS are installed on the two different drives on the computer. I have used the Linux drive on the new HP Z800 workstation to boot the machine. However it did not worked at all. I am getting an error message on the screen while doing the same. Let me know if you are having any specific solution to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to get existing Linux Installation from the one computer to boot from another?

You have not provided anything which is associated with the problem which you are getting on the computer of yours. Can you post the entire error message which you are getting while doing the above mentioned thing. Let me know about the Grub menu of the system of yours. Let me know about the hardware specification of the computer of yours. Answer the above mentioned thing as early as possible so that I can tell you about the further steps for troubleshoot.

Re: How to get existing Linux Installation from the one computer to boot from another?

Looking at the problem of yours you need to rebuild the intrid on the computer of yours. you need to boot your computer into rescue mode and look for the existing CentOS installation and mount the same on the /mnt/sysimage. It is described into below mentioned code.
    Code:
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    cd /boot
    mv initrd-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5.img initrd-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5.old
    mkinitrd intrd-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5.img 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
    reboot

Well you should have following grub set up on the computer of yours.
    Code:
    title Winddows XP
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    Also you should try to move the both drives on RAID0 on the Port 1 and Port 2 and put the Linux Set up drive on the Port 1. So try with different RAID configuration and see whether you are able to get the requirement of yours.

I am suggesting the following instruction which would be useful to get the requirement of yours. You should unpack the initrd-foo.img by using following command.
    Code:
    mkdir unpacked
    cd unpacked
    cat /boot/initrd-foo.img | gunzip | cpio -i
    after that you should execute the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    Code:
    find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > /boot/initrd-bar.img
    Let me know the results of the above mentioned thing to solve the problem of yours.

Another one thing which I would like that you might needed to edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf and use the interactive Grub at the time of the booting of the command. The Linux is installed on the second disk and map the two commands by swap hd0 and hd1. Hence the booting of the system becomes unexpected. If the disk is first one then the kernel, initrd and /etc/fstab would refer the disk by /dev/sda*.