Thread: CentOS 5.5 Bootup error on Xen DomU

CentOS 5.5 Bootup error on Xen DomU

Well I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the server as xen dom0. I am getting an error message while I am trying to install CentOS 5.5 x86_64 as a hardware virtualization. I have just begin the installation and it is prompting an error message on the screen. Let me know if you are having any idea to get the requirement of mine. Any help in this particular situation would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: CentOS 5.5 Bootup error on Xen DomU

You have not provided any specific information regarding the computer of yours and the error message which you are getting on the computer? Can you tell me about the entire hardware as well as software configuration of the computer. Do you have done any changes on the computer? I mean to say software or hardware changes on the computer? Can you post the entire error message which you are getting while doing installation of the software on the computer?

I am having a possible work around to fix the problem of yours. first of all you have to create a VirtualMachine on the computer of yours and simply install the operating system on the computer. once you have done with the VirtualMachine Setup you need to do update for the kernel of the latest verison. Once you have completed you need to migrate the VirtualMachine image back and you will be able to boot the operating system.

Looking at the problem of yours I am suggesting following patch and see whether it is working or not.
    Code:
    b/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/intel
    index 81c2c40..2f3328a 100644
    --- a/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.c
    +++ b/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.c
    @@ -331,6 +331,10 @@ amd_check_l3_disable(int index, struct _cpuid4_info
    *this_l
                 (boot_cpu_data.x86_mask  < 0x1)))
                    return;

+       /* not in virtualized environments */
    +       if (num_k8_northbridges == 0)
    +               return;
    +
            this_leaf->can_disable = true;
            this_leaf->l3_indices  = amd_calc_l3_indices();
     }
    I am hoping that the above mentioned patch would help you to fix the problem of yours.

The problem which you have mentioned over here is associated with the virt specific rather than of the xen specific. When you are supposed to run the virt environment is not exposed to the guest. You did not needed to recompile the kernel to figure out the code. You need to simply upgrade to the Z-stream release. You can go to normal RH Channels to get the same. So apply the same and see whether it is working or not.

I am highly suspecting that this particular problem is being happening due to the bug issue. Hence I recommend that you should contact the developer of this particular operating system and file a bug report. The Developer would work around on the situation and they will release the update after fixing the bug which you have reported to the developer of the CentOS. We need to wait till the bug has been fixed and the updates are released.