Thread: CIFS is unable to show total free space on CentOS

CIFS is unable to show total free space on CentOS

Hello everyone, I have some issues related to free space and Cent OS. I am running 2 servers in my office with Cent OS 5, one server is web server and other server is having 2TB memory to save all my data within it. The drives are created locally to such location /var/fileshare. My web server is using CIFS and it connects with guest account. So my actual problem is, web server is showing 1.5TB memory is free but when I try to copy something to it, it shows me not enough memory error. So can anyone help me with this? I am waiting for your reply, thanks a lot in advance.

re: CIFS is unable to show total free space on CentOS

Hey I have seen your problem, and as per my suggestion just don’t worry for that. I am also using the same operating system with same architecture, and I am not having any issue with it. You just have to check that you are actually mounting share, which you are thinking that you doing. Just do one thing, run “df-T” on any of your client PC and verify that which host is connected and verify the type of mount with CIFS. So just try to do this and let me know about it. All the Best!

Hello friend, I have gone through to your case, I have searched about it on internet. Even I have tried it on my system also, I can say that you should verify that, you are actually connected to the correct share by copying small file, along with that you must see their existence locally from the backup server. and also check that the free memory is not available on primary disk, where the actual Os is installed, if it is there and change it. I hope this will solve your problem. All the Best!

Hi, I have also checked for the above matter and I must say that there must be some silly mistake. I have some setting which should be check and also it should be changed accordingly.

On the backup server you must put fstab as follows:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1     /var/fileshare/share1    ext3    defaults    1 2
    On the web server you must put /etc/fstab/ as follows:
    Code:
    //your IP/fileshare/share1 /var/fileservbackup     cifs    guest   1 2
    And just try to post output from “df –h”

As per my knowledge it should work, so just try with this option.

The above post is perfectly true as per my knowledge, but in addition if still you are not finding it that it is working for you then there must be some problem with smb.conf which samba configuration. You must check for the path in smb.conf which must be /var/fileshare. And also if you want to share the large files then you must set the configuration like below:

• share1
    • Comment = File Shares
    • Path = /var/fileshare/share1
    • Writeable = yes
    • Guest ok = yes

Apply this setting to smb.conf, it will surely work.

Re: CIFS is unable to show total free space on CentOS

Hey friends, thanks for your help. I was sure that I will solve my problem in here on this forum only. After reading your post I have check all the point accurately, and I came to know that, I have not installed samba. After that I installed samba with 3.0.33 version 32 bit. When I installed it and applied the setting which is mentioned above, I have got through to my problem. so friends thanks again, without you all it was not possible for me to do that.