Thread: Partitioning of Centos on a new system

Partitioning of Centos on a new system

Hello, I know what would be the ideal partition to install a linux server with CentOS, and be done with the auto attendant does not convince me at all. The server that I want to run will the common services of a network like firewall, web, mail, printers, etc. Depending on whether you put up a web mail server and it strikes me that I could put a separate partition for / var, in addition to those you recommend. What you think about the same. Does that will really work here.

Re: Partitioning of Centos on a new system

The partitions that according to me will be better is Linux Swap which is in relation to the RAM you have in your system. It is usually the twice, but some people recommended to have 1GB. For the boot or boot with ext3 file system, I think it would be nice if you put a 100MB and for Home users if you go to them you can also use ext3 and the size that you want because bigger is better. It enables better performance of your system without much trouble.

Well these are what I think you have, do not forget to also put a partition so that there are packages, directories, and other files to run your Linux. And something else, as your post seems to want to run many services on a single server, you know, it is good that all this burden distributed across multiple servers. For example, you have a firewall, proxy and DMZ, otherwise you have the web server and the mail, and so you go spreading the services you want because this is what you have everything on one server and if you damage, you lose all those services.

I an linux based operating system every type of partition has its uses. Like the /boot which is used to boot the kernel. It is good for separating the operating system kernel. The second is the / tmp which will needed to have the option to remove temporary files. Then comes / var for log files, mail servers, web servers. So that is quiet a good for advance work. Then comes the / usr which is used to to save the information of installed programs. The / opt to store information outside the known programs in the system, such as proprietary software.

In my views I will recommend you to use 100 MB for boot and 1GB / var depends on how much information saved email and web servers (maybe about 3 GB), swap, / usr depending on the programs you think have / home for users. Would have to find the ideal size for a server partitions as you want. I'll find out why it happened that the size of / var partition on a server. The scenario that is useful several swap partitions is exactly where you have multiple drives, and are not used sequentially, but in parallel, is not expected to complete a swap space to use other, in this sense will use it as RAM, random access.

In fact I have 1 GB ram and I did not pay twice as much swap because I think a lot, plus I do not use graphics mode and as web server and mail, it feels good, taking advantage that I have few users ( or 100). How did the two swap partitions? I imagine that first filled over and began to fill another, I find it interesting if you had two partitions on separate disks, because parallel access could be made on the same disk would be sequential if you could get the linux use both assuming that you wait for one to use to fill the other.