Thread: Sharing the CentOS 5.5 Swap partition with any other Linux OS

Sharing the CentOS 5.5 Swap partition with any other Linux OS

I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. Well I am having a particular query which I need to be solved by you. I want to know how can I share the swap partition on the computer of mine. Let me know if you are having any useful instruction to get the requirement of mine. I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Sharing the CentOS 5.5 Swap partition with any other Linux OS

Well looking at the situation which you have provided over here I am suggesting the thing which would be useful to get the requirement of yours. I recommend that you need to create a swap partition on the computer and simply use that newly created swap partition for the operating system which you are going to install on the computer of yours. so try thing which I have mentioned over here and let me know about the results.

I don’t think so you need to do anything special to get the requirement of yours. well I am suggesting that you should perform a custom install while you are trying to do installation on the computer of yours. the installer which is being used would swap the pervious installation of the operating system. Once you have done the same you can use the Swap partition for both the operating system.

I would like to boot the operating systems using boot manager. It simply makes the images compressed for the partition. If it is not working at all then you will not be able to boot the computer. You might need to make thing working by using the trial and error method. Just you need to chose the correct option so that you can make thing working efficiently.

One thing which I would like to discuss over here while doing custom install. Well you should unmount the swap partition which you did not wanted any more on the computer. If you are not wanted to recognize the partition by the system then you should format the same by using the Live CD and change the back after installing and the formatting the Swap partition on the computer of yours. So try the same and let me know about the results.

I would like to one thing which you should consider while sharing the Swap partition on the computer of yours. if you share the swap partition then you would break the hibernating mode on the computer of yours. Well the hibernates simply writes the physical ram contents on the swap partition and simply resume from there itself. Rest of all the situation I recommend that you can should go for the sharing of the swap partition.