Thread: CentOS 5.5: Error message ‘ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host’

CentOS 5.5: Error message ‘ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host’

I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer. I am getting problem while connecting with the Virtual Machine by using SSH. I don’t what could be the root cause but I got following error message on the screen. ‘ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host’ Let me know if you are aware of the above mentioned error message. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: CentOS 5.5: Error message ‘ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host’

I have done lots of research work finally I have managed to fix the problem of mine. I have already tried to boot the computer into safe mode and searched into the home directory permission. I was suspecting that the error was causing due to SELinux on the computer. Well I have done modification at the kernel line in the GRUB with using ‘selinux=0’ after doing the above mentioned thing I have solved the problem. So try the same and let me know whether it is working or not.

Re: CentOS 5.5: Error message ‘ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host’

If the Virtual Machine is self contained and was unable to use the host disk then the rebooting the Virtual Machine is totally dependent on the virtualizatin or hypervisor which you are using. There could be something wrong with the SELinux. I think you need to reboot the client and see whether it is working or not. If you are unable to do the same then you need to reset or simply power down the computer of yours.

Looking at the problem which you have mentioned over here I think I know the root cause of the problem. Well I have noticed that this particular problem happening because the server was denying the connection based on the IP. I have simply placed the IP into the /etc/hosts.allow location and after doing the same I was able to connect with the computer. You did not needed to reboot the SSH rather you should allow to change to be take effect on the system.

I have found that this particular issue was occurring due to changes in the permission into the /var /folder. You need to execute the following command on the terminal to change the permission.
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /var/
    After executing the above mentioned command I have resolved the issue of mine. so use the above mentioned command and see whether it is working or not.

I am having particular solution which you can use to resolve the problem of yours. you should try to login on the computer by using the computer which is having IP-DNS pair. This particular solution would be useful in the situation when you are unable to login into by using DHCP server. Also you need to edit the /etc/hosts.deny file on the computer of yours. So you must try the above mentioned thing and let me know about results.