Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unable to view partition in CentOS 5

Operating Systems

Old 03-05-2011

Unable to view partition in CentOS 5

currently I am having 320 GB hard disk on the computer of mine. Right now I am using anaconda system installer for the CentOS 5 and I am looking to divide the hard disk into total 3 partition. That 50 GB of the hard disk space should be used for the mount point and 4 GB hard disk space should be sued for the Swap and remaining partition should be used for the storing data on the hard disk. After finishing with installation I have found that I was unable to view the D partition on the system. Let me know if you are having any useful information to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 03-05-2011

re: Unable to view partition in CentOS 5

I am unable to find out why this particular problem is being happening on the system of yours. it would be great if you are able to provide more information. You need to execute the below mentioned command on the terminal.
Code:
mv getinfo.sh getinfo.sh_DOS
cat getinfo.sh_DOS | tr -d '\r' > getinfo.sh
chmod +x getinfo.sh
after executing the command copy and paste the content of the file over here so that I can examine and let you know about the root cause of the problem.
Old 03-05-2011

You can create the partition on the hard disk by simply using the parted utility. Using this particular utility you will be able to do the following things.
  • You can view the existing partition table on the computer of yours.
  • You can modify the existing size of the partitions.
  • you can add partition from the free space or the additional hard drives on the computer of yours.
Old 03-05-2011

If you are wanted to launch parted on the computer of yours. you should see that you have log in to the computer as a root and simply enter the command parted /dev/sda at the shell prompt. Here parted /dev/sda on the device name which you need to configure. If the device is not used then any of the partition cannot be mounted. Also any space on the device cannot be enabled as Swap on the computer.
Old 03-05-2011

If any of the partition on the hard disk is not being used then you can unmount the same simply using the ?Unmount? command on the terminal. You can also turn off the swap space on the hard disk by using the swapoff command on the terminal of the computer. The Partition table should not be alter in any manner why because the kernel which is running on the computer would not be able to recognized the changes which you have done on the partition table.
Old 04-05-2011

Re: Unable to view partition in CentOS 5

You can use to following instruction to make partition on the hard disk of yours.
  • You should launch parted on the computer of yours.
  • Now execute the following command on the computer of yours.
Code:
mkpart primary ext3 1024 2048
  • Once the execution the command is completed you should use the Print command and see whether partition table is being created with partition type, file system type, and size.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,