Thread: Offline update in CentOS 5.5

Offline update in CentOS 5.5

As the title suggesting what I am going to ask over here. Well I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. I am looking to update the CentOS server into the offline mode why because the server is not having any internet access. So how can I get this particular requirement? I have searched on the Google but I was unable to find anything to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Offline update in CentOS 5.5

I think you need to create a local mirror while doing updating CentOS which you have installed on the computer of yours. You need to login on the server machine as Root and execute the following command on the command prompt.
    Code:
    mkdir -p /share/CentOS/5.6
    cd /share/CentOS
    ln -s 5.6 5
    You need to make adjustment for the file system for the enough space or simply mount the thing to the any specific mount point. You should create a directory structure and update the thing by using ISO image file.

In this particular situation you need to use the update media into the CentOS-Media.repo while which is located into /etc/yum.repos.d. You need to mount the update DVD using following location.
    Code:
    # yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c4-media update
    So try the above mentioned command and see whether it is working or not.

If any new update is being released it is mainly repo which is containing the latest file from the previously released file are lolled back and new set of the updates are being given.
    Code:
     cd /share/CentOS
    cp -al 5.6 5.7
    mv 5.7/updates/i386/RPMS/* 5.7/os/i386/CentOS
    mv 5.7/updates/x86_64/RPMS/* 5.7/os/x86_64/CentOS
    after using the above mentioned command mirror would be updated and simply change the mirror would show the transition to the latest build which you have installed on the computer.

If you are looking to maintain your set of the subset of the updates than that of the mirroring all the released updates and then you need to generate the metadata for the yum. You have to create the directories and run the following command on the computer.
    Code:
    createrepo /share/CentOS/5/updates/i386
    createrepo /share/CentOS/5/updates/x86_64
    in case the createpro is not found then it would installed by default.

/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo can be used as a guide to produce the etc/yum.repos.d/USB.repo file to the any appropriate mount point update which should be copied to the hard disk and the repo file should be created to the pointing to the desire mount point. This will help you to install original DVD can be used for the OS package by using the c4 media repo. You can use the same technique for the expanding all the other repos.