Thread: installing Centos 5.3 in VMWare ESX 3.5 (issue)

installing Centos 5.3 in VMWare ESX 3.5 (issue)

hello everyone I am running many 5.2 virtual machines in VMWare ESX3.5.i have updated a couple of test Virtual Machines from 5.2 to 5.3. The thing that stands out is that during boot time, the sequence gets to device-mapper dm-raid45 initialized v0.2429 Waiting for driver initialization.Here it takes about 3 times longer than the previous Centos 5.2 almost about 9 seconds instead of 3. Whereas inside a physical box the wait in 5.3 is the same as it was in 5.2 Can anyone help me out with this.

Re: installing Centos 5.3 in VMWare ESX 3.5 (issue)

i have a few days ago upgraded a server from centos 5.2 to centos 5.3 in VMware ESX without any issues. Thanks & congrats to the Centos-Team!!! The time for the driver initialization (dm-raid45) is about 5 seconds. I did not notice any difference to the time needed before the update, but I have to admit that I did not care much about this wait-interval maybe it was 3 secs before, but there are absolutely no issue here.

let me tell you are not the only one who is facing this problem. the cantos operating system i am using gives a delay of about 20 seconds in a Virtual-box instance of CentOS 5.5. it is Really annoying. and that is only the tip of the ice berg when I add a new network interface controller , after when the system reboots, it takes for ever to discover an address for the new adapter and then it suddenly fails. actually the bridged adapter is not seen by the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server of my Linksys router.

I have no idea as to how much Vmware ESX experienced you are, but you just need to double check over again. When you go and select the image file from the data store in virtual machine settings, so are you sure that you are choosing the option Connect on power on in the check box By default, this will not be selected, which means the ISO will not be presented to the guest. i have forgotten to do this more times than i would probably like to admit.

according to my observation i can diagnose the problem, it does not seem to be CentOS operating system related. I think this is the true because i have also tried installing CentOS 5.3 the operating system directly in the host system and i can reach the step where the partitions are created, stage that i cannot reach when trying to install CentOS 5.3 in my VMWare Server 2.0 virtual machine. there seems to be some setting i have missed.

have you looked into acceleration settings you need to disable all of them in the virtual machine configurations menu, choose LSI as the SCSI virtual controller type instead of the default BusLogic,i think you must also check out the in the call tracer and it seems that calibrate_xor_block is used inside module/driver may be, so this must be a virtual hardware issue disk, cdrom. you should try changing the default setting IDE to SCSI for the virtual CDrom hardware and now the guest OS cannot find the CDRom nor the hard disk, but there is also no kernel panic!.