Thread: how to install centos 5.5 using ext4 file system

how to install centos 5.5 using ext4 file system

is it possible, i wanted to install the centos 5.5 on an ext4 file system by using anaconda. i am curious about the file system and do not have much knowledge about it practically how ever i have done some digging and found it interesting. the ext4 file system is it secured and safe to be used for files servers using samba the anaconda installer menu only shoes the two file system types the ext2 and ext3. what should i do to make this work can someone advice.

Re: how to install centos 5.5 using ext4 file system

anaconda does not provide installs for ext4.on the other hand centos does have ext4 file system capabilities. Once the system is installed, you can find a centos kernel from centosplus that is ext4 ready. what i suggest is install centos [ext3],then after make the necessary adjustments in your repositories to also add centosplus packages. then find the kernel which is ext4 file system ready. then use and Acquire partimage.

try to Boot into another operating system,there you have to go to the rescue mode centos, whatever you have available. Install the part image, and Make an image of your centos 5.5 with part image for example just a non system partition.from there go ahead and Format the partition of centos using ext4 which of course requires an ext4 linux source. Open up the centos 5.5 image on the partition now in ext4,adjust /etc/fstab; adjust grub done. centos 5.5 in ext4.

Actually to state a fact the ext4 file system is available in CentOS 5.5 as a test and technology preview and it quite seems stable enough to be used.there are many such features the Centosplus kernels are no different in terms of ext4 file system. They have some filesystems enabled that are somehow by default disabled in the distro kernel for example, reiserfs.it is good to be able to know what is available and developing for further market.

i have only tried to run the ext4 file system while using Ubuntu, but the only method i have found of not having to perform manual fscks on boot on a regular basis is to enable data journalling, which rather defeats the point of using ext4 file system in the first place. i have no idea whether the CentOS version of ext4 file system is as fragile as compared to the one i used on ubuntu, i do not know about you but i am certainly sticking to ext3 file system and xfs file system on any system where I care about the data.

the centos 5.5 operating system has Anaconda which supports ext4 file system even as the main root (/) partition volume for installing, but it is not native to the system. just keep in mind that the /boot can never be on ext4 file system. you will need to begin installing in textmode by choosing the textmode option in the menu after that go and add "rootfs=ext4dev" to the kernel string linux text rootfs=ext4dev When the message pops up "Welcome to CentOS" , press ALT-F2 to enter console. Create every partition you need here, using fdisk.all You need to do is also create LVM using "lvm " commands no LVM console, but i.e. lvm vgcreate and others work). Format needed partitions with ext4 as you wish using mkfs.ext4. Return to the original console with ALT-F1, and proceed with install. When it asks for disk partitioning, select the option for custom partitioning. Assign mountpoints to the partitions, don't format existing ext4 partitions. Proceed with install as usual. After this, the system boots with ext4 as root, and works fine.