Thread: need help to install CentOS 5.5 on hard drive

need help to install CentOS 5.5 on hard drive

i got my hands on a CentOS 5.5 Live CD ISO from the official web site and burnt a DVD and tried it out. i used the live boot to check it out and liked it. now got a new system and i want to install the operating system on it. but there is no option given there to install the operating system on my desktop. i want to know if there is any way to install from the copy i have downloaded. i want to know if there are is any way to install, partition on my hard disk.

Re: need help to install CentOS 5.5 on hard drive

there are no options unfortunately in CentOS 5.5 Live CD ISO and so it cannot be used to install the operating system on your hard drive. you can how ever do Net-install but it will only prove useful if you have a good network connection still it is not recommended if you are not using it for network/server purposes. you will need to download a copy of the centos install DVD ISO for this and you will be able to install the operating system on your machine.

this problem was solved a long time ago. OK let it be here is what you got to do Put the small boot.img file that is in the images on the CD or DVD isos on a USB drive if you want you can use a loop-back mount to get it if you cannot find a place to download it separately,you will have to boot from it, choose the option Network File System as the installation method, and point it to the directory containing the CD ISO images that you have under an Network File System export on another box.

the CentOS 5.5 Live CD iso uses a minimal overlay as compared to the root file system can present errors as the free space which it is able to get on the overlay is filled up. just In this case, the LiveCD root file system act's as if there still was space available on the overlay while in fact it is completely allocated.even though, there are many advantages at using a smaller overlay than the root file system on smaller Flash drive may be like 4gb or < even if it can be filled up eventually. To just erase the context of the overlay and return to the original state of the LiveCD, then go ahead and add the reset_overlay kernel parameter at boot time as needed. This will effectively reset the overlay.

CentOS 5.5 Live CD ISO has been designed in such a way that the size of the overlay should be no more than 2048MB on a Virtual File Allocation Table Flash drive. If you use a third extended file system using Flash drive, the total size of the overlay must be more than the size of the root file system of the LiveCD. This object size is defined on the line of the LiveCD kick-start file. The official CentOS 5 LiveCD has a 4gb root file system.

I downloaded the CentOS 5.5 Live CD iso using the YUM torrent link when it first became available. and there are two dvds which are needed to install the operating system onto your desktop the first one is a 4.1gb image and the second one is 413 mb. the operating system you want to use has a huge installation file which needs two dvds. well when it first came out i was also astonished that it uses two dvds i could not imagine that i still think it could just fit on just one dvd but who am i to say may be there is some function to using the 2 dvds.