Thread: Need information about customizing ISO images for centos

Need information about customizing ISO images for centos

i have come across many threads like this one, the reason i am here is because i have not been able to find the solution to my problems. I am sort of in a situation which include 2 brand new HP ProLiant DL360 G6 servers, both are using the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller. these HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller is such a new technology that both centos and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux do not have integrated support driver on them. i do not know how to make it work i have installed the centos 5.3 on one of the server. and i am not able to use over this. the only reason i am asking for customizing an ISO image i, i want to add the raid controller drive on the installation drive. the server are bought to be used at remote sites so i will be only able to remotely have access to these servers and so want to make an ISO disk for them.

Re: Need information about customizing ISO images for centos

i really doubt that there will be any need, when understanding the low magnitude of the problem and when we talk about rebuilding the modified ISO which will obviously have a customized initrd which contains the .ko file for the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller. all you need to do is just specify dd= and choose the appropriate driver disk. when i think of it i really am baffled that the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller is not compatible with cciss .ko module.

hey i have got a solution for the issue you are so concerned about. first of all did your server manufacturer provide you with a disk. why did not you try the dd= command for pointing out the drivers. There was just once that i had to modify the initrd.img and it was when the file was when i had to setup over the network *and* that the network card wasn't included, which isn't your problem here. You don't need physical access to that system for the dd= parameter to work (go tocentos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch-bootopts-x86.html)

you do not need to use the command dd= that means that you will not be using the driver disk, will you specify more about the partitions volume ? are there two separate volumes or no disk volumes. so if it says that then this is the way you can make out if it is a fake raid or not, that means there is a mix of proprietary software driver to simulate a raid1 controller (and that uses ~10% of CPU just for the IOs).

let me tell you how it works If the driver is not loaded when the boot loader starts, the installer finds two separate disks sda/sdb. the bios utilities where used to build the array for the old servers . on the new system you just need to configure the raid configuration and there is no need to do any thing else, no other option is even asked. Even with the kick start software that HP include which is able to talk to the raid controller doesn't have an option to build the array. So i am going to say based on your descriptions that it is a fakeraid array.