Thread: how to upgrade from CentOS 5.5 to centos 5.6

how to upgrade from CentOS 5.5 to centos 5.6

need to know the updates on the current situation. I got CentOS 6.0, but what about CentOS 5.6? is it possible for me to yum the update from 5.5 to 5.6 will it work does it make any sense. what do you think.can i do that or should i do it. please post your answers and let me know about it. and i have not yet installed the 6.0. is this one better then the others. when does it come out.

Re: how to upgrade from CentOS 5.5 to centos 5.6

yes you are able to yum the update on the existing 5.5 does it seem clean or does it need some special preparation to install on the centos just by using yum should i do.when is the 5.6 release date that i have no idea of yet i don't think there will be any major updates or changes made from 5.5 to 5.6 there is going to be up dates of hardware support and security updates.

well when you think about it there were bumps in the php from 5.1 to 5.3 and there were also major changes made in the bind in from 9.3 to 9.7. so i would only suggest you to think about it know about it then only go for such things. you probably should have a look at the documents associated with the new release and be really careful before going for it.

regrettably the KB's Internet Relay Chat meeting did not fit in my time. it was at 3:00 am. i did not come to know about any official announcement yet, when you think of it it is really assuring that the dev list-posted by the team behind developing it is that it may release in matter of weeks. now at-least we will not need to go for local versions.

i do not think that side by side installation is even possible under the given terms because the php and bind are of different version on the new system and it cannot be done that way.you could only be able to do that when you would remove the php from the old version and all the related packages for it then you may be able to do that. i have looked up on Google for this .

The CentOS team is pleased to announce the availability of CentOS 4.9. Major changes in 4.9 include a) There is now a Preview Edition of OpenOffice.org-2 and b) Firefox is rebased to Firefox-3.1.x. These improvements along with many more are detailed in the online release notes here and upstream release notes here

Note: The upstream provider did not respin media for the 4.9 release and therefore the CentOS project will also not respin our install media. Installs moving forward will be off the 4.8 media and an upgrade will move you from version 4.8 to version 4.9. We do this to maintain compatibility with 3rd party kernel drivers which are designed to be installed as part of the installation process.

Dude, CentOS 5.5 has been released long time ago and now you are giving news and fixes about CentOS 4.9.. Also same with Firefox. You talking about 3.1, its time for Firefox 4.1.