Thread: GRUB not loading after Installing Centos

GRUB not loading after Installing Centos

I installed Centos on top of a HP server through 5i RAID controller (which is hardware RAID) and install GRUB on the way to the MBR. Nevertheless, boot directly in the direction of Windows XP exclusive of seeing the GRUB boot in any way. I've done Windows installed on drive RAID 0 and I can install Centos on a separate RAID 0. And I share files installed Windows on RAID 5. I guess that since the RAID controller does not see the units separately for each parent, you have to do some dodge to get it to work, like maybe using the Windows loader pathetic 'to load GRUB and go from there, but I have no idea how. Do I have to make the drive visible in Windows for the first time by assigning a drive letter in Windows Disk Manager and then add it to the initial boot loader? Has anyone done this before?

Re: GRUB not loading after Installing Centos

Hello according to me more often than not it's within RAID card BIOS where you classify which Array is Bootable, on behalf of I don't be acquainted with more regarding your specific settings, but I would suggest you to endeavor on HP site to discover answer if you can't position it manually within RAID BIOS. I hope that HP will give you the proper solution on your query, however its rally nice question. And if you find solution on it then share with us. Thank you.

ali Guest

hello i am facing same problem. The RAID BIOS menu based on which offers the possibility to create, delete and view LV. As I am trying to dual boot with XP and Centos, I installed XP for the first time in its own LV up in the same physical disk, and created another LV in another physical drive only for Centos. No problem with the installation of Centos, but I could is I am not able to get it to boot. To reinstall GRUB on the block instead of MBR and endeavor to make use of NTLDR to boot with BootPart and at what time I try to boot to it, I obtain the "system disk" error. Windows boots fine though.

I can create a boot image and write to the NTLDR bootpart configuration. I downloaded the RAID configuration tool from HP, but do not give me options to change what LV "s may start only allows me to destroy a LV or create one, and some other minor changes, so I did a dig a little more and discovered that the 5i will only start in the first logical volume. I tried switching 0 and 1 round to Centos is the first volume, but the FIR is stored on the physical disk, so that keeps me and the RAID controller keeps releasing "The units are out of order" error and not try to boot up to "rearrange" theirs. Does anyone have fudge I could try?

I don’t have any knowledge and experience in this particular hardware. The entire I am able to think of is to decrease the NTFS partition sufficient to accommodate a separate boot in the first array and reinstall GRUB in the boot record of the first array, or perhaps easier to reinstall the operating system complete this configuration. Are you sure this is real hardware RAID, not false or HostRAID? I hope now you are clear with your doubt in some cases. Thank you.

Hello I am not clear with your question but I think you are talking about Smart Array 5i. During these situations it is a hardware raid. I presently configured one a week ago and I don't comprise several problems through it. Smart Arrays contain unusual device names although. Grub boot will be /dev/cciss/c0d1, most probable. Don't forget to configure smartd appropriately and install cciss_vol_status effectiveness. I hope this will help you. Thank you.

I recently encountered this problem with a client running an HP RAID controller. HP technical support told me that the only driver tries to start the first logical drive detected. The controller will not post any logical drive. There is no option in the BIOS driver to choose which logical drive serial boot the machine, the controller just attempts to boot beginning the first array detected. The simply technique to obtain multiple boot devices is the restoration the system into the accurate classify or add a RAID controller and modify the boot classification within the BIOS.