Thread: How can i compare two folders in windows 7 pro 64 bit

How can i compare two folders in windows 7 pro 64 bit

I am using Windows 7 pro 64. My system consist of two folders Which consist of multiple files. Is their a procedure which can lead me so that i can compare both folders and can find which folder has more files in it, and what are their names ? Show me the steps to do that in Win 7 prof 64bit? Is any utility present on the web which i can download to fix this problem? I hope you reply to my query as early as possible.

Re: How can i compare two folders in windows 7 pro 64 bit

Yes, Windows 7 provide you with this new feature through which you can compare all your files present in two different folders. The below mentioned is the proper method to do so. The easiest way to do these is just take the pointer over the folder, it will display folder size and file information.If you had deactivated this utility and just go to windows explorer> organize>folder search options>view>now select the display files size information and click OK I hope this works.

Here's the one more way to do it,It works in all Windows versions from 7 to 95. lets take and example: assume that you're comparing two directories named 'ABC' and 'XYZ'.Just go to command prompt type dir /XYZ > ABC.txt into one window and dir/XYZ>SYZ.txt into other. With the execution of these two commands you will now have two text files which will list the contents of each directory.Now just shift the XYZ.txt into the same folder as ABC.txt . Now type type 'fc ABC.txt XYZ.txt'. fc command stand for compare, with the implementation it will splitt out a list of the differences between the two files,with an extra line of text above and below .You can also pipe the differences into another file by using something like 'fc A.txt B.txt > differences.txt'. Sure it works.

There may often need to keep a carbon or backup copy of your important files and folders. Let us suppose you are working on a project and there is a need to modify your files on a routine basis.Few days after, you may need to go back to the previous version of a file. So what to do now ? You can do this, if you have saved the previous version in a backup or carbon copy folder.In such situations, there often arise a need to compare two directories and files contained in those folders.There comes a freeware tool which allows you to compare two windows directories easily, and consuming less time and efforts.Directory Compare is a utility provided in Windows 7 operating system, to help you keeping copies of your important directories (documents, programs under development and so on) in a backup hard disk or any other storage system (like 100Mb diskettes). The backup can made automatically (in unattended mode) or by using a friendly user interface.

FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is utilized for highest performance and without restricted usability or overloaded UI interfaces. FreeFileSync's interface is attractive and innovative developed for quick comparison of two folders. It consist of Large buttons with tool tips guide. Users through each step can use this process. They can Simply browse to the two folders you want to compare, you just need to mere click the Compare button, and the rest work will be performed by FreeFileSync. It will tell you exactly how the folder contents differ.Files can be compared either by contents or by size and date. Users can then automatically sync the folders or can just move selected files manually between the folders. These can update changes in both folders, create a mirror backup of one folder, or move all updated or changed files to one folder.Users can also create their own synchronization rules