Thread: Windows 7 does not copy large files/folders from one drive to other drive.

Windows 7 does not copy large files/folders from one drive to other drive.

Hello guys. I recently started using my new Windows 7 running Toshiba laptop. Recently when I tried to copy a folder with large size, over 10 GB, I was unable to copy the file from my one drive to another (from my D: drive to E: drive). It doesn’t copy the file nor does it show any error message. So I wanted to ask what would be the reason behind this. Does anyone know how I can exactly do to be able to copy those files from drive to drive? Please help me and give me some solution.

Re: Windows 7 does not copy large files/folders from one drive to other drive.

This problem is very common among windows user. Read about on many forums and blog sites so decided to find the solution. So I searched for the issue on Internet and finally found one solution to solve the problem. Windows 7 user won’t be able to transfer any files or folder larger than 4 GB from one drive to another if the drive format is FAT 32. So I would suggest you to change your drive format from FAT32 to NTFS. This will allow you to copy files from one drive to another one with any error or problem.

You can also solve the problem in a much simpler way. What you need to do is to cut the large files into small pieces; make sure they are less than 4GB, and then try to copy them from one drive to another. Once you are done copying all the pieces of that folder or file in the new drive, you can combine them again later whenever you need the complete file. You can make use of any third-party software to make this possible for you. Winrar is one such software which allow its users to split the files into many small pieces and then recombine them back whenever it was needed.

There are plenty of third party softwares available in market which can help you solve your problem of copying larger files form one drive to another one without much issue. One such software is “Teracopy”. You can search about for the Teracopy software on Internet and download it in your system from the official website of that software. Follow the onscreen instructions and install it in your system. I will automatically integrate itself with the right-click menu of all the programs and folder. The speed of copying is also very fast when you are using the Teracopy application.

You can also copy these big files from one driver to another, without installing any new third party software.What you need to do is follow the below shown steps:
    • Go to Start and type powershell in the search box and press Enter
    • Type the following code: Copy-Item <starting_path>\* <ending_path> -recurse
    • For example, if you want to copy anything from my C: drive to your another local drive D: then you have to write the following: Copy-Item \\ C: \* D:\ -recurse

Again a third party software saved many Widows users. Thank you everyone for spending some time of your life solving my problem. It was very kind of you people. I like the “Teracopy” solution. It is probably the best solution to solve this issue. Though, I also like the solution using powershell. I would surely try that one. It was something new and innovative that I came across. Still once again, thanks a lot to one and all who made an effort to help me get rid of my problem.