Thread: Windows Explorer is restarting when browsing folders with large file

Windows Explorer is restarting when browsing folders with large file

Last week I purchased my brand new SONY VAIO laptop. It is running 64 bit windows 7 Ultimate in it. It was working perfectly fine till yesterday, but when today morning I started browsing the folders which have files with large size; 5GB files like HIDEF mkv files (movies), then the Windows Explorer terminates and restarts. What must be the reason behind this problem? Does anyone have solution for this issue? Please help me with your suggestions as they are always appreciated with me.

Re: Windows Explorer is restarting when browsing folders with large file

You should first perform complete system scan and check whether your laptop has been recently attacked by some malicious germs or viruses. If detected any, then get rid of them by either deleting them permanently from your system or try to heal them. Also always remember to keep your antivirus updated. You can do that manually or make the automatic update option ON for your system. You should check out whether those 5GB HIDEF .mkv files are virus free or not. Check whether you are able to play them without any trouble.

I would suggest you to repair your system files by running SFC/scannow command which is very useful command for all the version of Windows. When the SFC (System File Checker) command is executed along with the SFC/scannnow switch, all the windows files on your computer will be scanned for errors and if found any they will be automatically replaced. Many of the Windows problems are caused when the DLL files; also known as Operating System files, are missing or corrupt. The SFC/scannow command is very easy to use and automatically performs its entire task without much interference from any other files.

Follow the below steps to execute SFC/scannow command and start the troubleshooting process.
    • Go to: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Right click the Command prompt and run as administrator. Type the password when prompted for an administrator password. Click on Allow button.
    • Type sfc /scannow command on the command prompt and press ENTER to execute it. It will scan all the visible, hidden and protected system files and replace the corrupt one with the correct version of Microsoft.
    • Once the scan is about to start, a message will appear saying that “The system scan will begin.”
    • It is very important for the user to understand that this process will generally take many hours to get completed.
    • When SFC prompts to replace some windows file, then you should probably insert the Windows 7 CD to complete the task of replacing the corrupt windows files with a fresh working one.
    • "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" message will be displayed, if the SFC did not find any error.
    • Close the command prompt window and restart your laptop.

You should perform Clean Boot to check out whether you can find out whether any particular program or driver is causing the problems. It allows the user to start Windows with certain programs and drivers turned ON/OFF as per the user selection. Following are the steps to troubleshoot with a Clean Boot:
    1. Go to start and search for “msconfig” in the Search box, and hit the ENTER key.
    2. Type the Administrator password if prompted for, to continue the process.
    3. Go to General tab and tap on Selective Startup.
    4. Now select the “Clear the Load Startup items” check box.
    5. Go to Services tab > and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box, and then check the “Disable All” checkbox.
    6. Click OK and Restart your computer.

Wow!! I never knew that you guys would reply so quickly to my post. It was so sweet and kind of everyone of you to spend some of your time reading my query and replying me suggestions which you felt would work for me. The replies were exactly what I was looking for. They really helped me solve my problem. The SFC/scannow command method and the Clean boot method, both are helpful when solving this issue. Once again thank you a lot for your help. Your good work is appreciative. Please keep helping people.