Thread: Linux compatible Ethernet HDD storage

Linux compatible Ethernet HDD storage

In recent years I have been looking for a "set and forget" 1.5 - Storage Solution 2 TB I can connect to my home network, but for one reason or another have not yet found the right box. The kind of thing I've been searching included.
    -Ethernet connection. I want to store this in a central communications cabinet and not have to move, which connects via USB to individual computers.
    - Linux / Windows / Mac compatible. I have PC with Windows, our server Ubuntu and I'm probably at some point to get a Mac, so I'd like a box that plays well with each of these operating systems.
    - Simple interface. I'd like something that can be configured once and backup automatically, without me having to remember to start it.

Re: Linux compatible Ethernet HDD storage

There is no such thing, or to a certain extent, no such device at a price that most of us will pay. While Apple NAS worth noting that more of what we're back to anyone or no matter which other than having to configure or build ourselves. However, your note about backup is interesting. We found the usual external only NAS to be too unreliable (with USB hard drives) to be considered for backup. Perhaps then we will give a passing grade as a "spare copy, but it is not backed up until 2 or 3 of them with every copy of the safety of others.

Sounds like you really do not want the hassle of running a box and its main objective is the backup. If so, a choice of cloud storage may be worth considering (Ubuntu One, the disk Amazon a3). One apparently Ubuntu gives you a 2 GB free. If you need something local for speed or it will send more than a lot of data, building your own makes sense. There are distributions out there NAS (FreeNAS).
    - Linux / Windows / Mac Compatible with Windows boxes will be the weakest link and you're trapped with incredible that runs Samba or if you are running a modern version of windows to find something that supports WebDav. If you do not care about the box, Windows, Linux and Mac play well over NFS, but I hesitation you'll find a NAS that supports out of the box.

Thanks for the proposition. Is a potential solution, especially when it ensures that if there was any substantial calamity, such as a fire, that would be covered? Unfortunately Australia's plans are usually measured, so pay a monthly amount to a certain amount (I was on a plan of 10 GB is $ 70 per month with a discount, as I was with my telephony provider). As you can imagine, three computers running means that this allocation very quickly swallows. Cloud is probably the option I would use if I were in the U.S., however.