Thread: "Items not found. Verify the item's location and try again" error message while renaming folders in Windows 7

"Items not found. Verify the item's location and try again" error message while renaming folders in Windows 7

Hi, I just got my new Dell laptop. It is running 64 bit version of Windows 7 Pro Operating system. I am a newbie so I don’t have much computer knowledge, especially not of Windows 7 OS. Recently when I tried to rename few folders, I was surprised to get “Item not found. Verify the item's location and try again” error message. The error message was having the option of “Try Again” and “Cancel”. Whenever I tried to click on “Try Again” button the same error message is displayed again and again. Does anyone have any idea what must be causing this error message to pop up? Please help!!

Re: "Items not found. Verify the item's location and try again" error message while renaming folders in Windows 7

I am not sure about this, but the reason behind this problem would be some Microsoft Windows update. You might have kept Automatic Update ON and new updates might have got installed in your system. So I would suggest you to undo the changes and check whether your problem is solved or not. You can do System Restore by doing the following:
    • Click on the Windows Orb (Start button) and search for System Restore. Double click System Restore option from the list to start the System Restore window.
    • Enter the Admin password when prompted to start the System Restore application.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to select the Restore point to which to want to restore your system and click Next to finish the task.
    • Windows will by itself complete the system restore.
    • It will prompt for restart, so just do it.

Re: "Items not found. Verify the item's location and try again" error message while renaming folders in Windows 7

It seems like the problem is with the windows 7 Operating system that is installed in your laptop. So I would suggest you to either re-install the Windows 7 Pro in your laptop and then check whether the problem still exist or if you are unable to perform fresh re-installation of Windows 7 by yourself, it would be better if you contact the nearest Dell Support Center and ask them to fix the problem for you. As it is a new laptop, your laptop will be under warranty period, so you can get your laptop fixed for free from Dell itself. Probably Re-installing the Operating System should solve the issue.

After lots of researching on Internet I came across one solution that has worked for many including me to solve the following problem of that error message while trying to rename any folder. You need start the “Registry Editor” by clicking Start button and searching for “regedit” and delete the below registry entries. Once you have deleted the following registry entries, restart your computer to allow the changes to come into effect.

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}\PropertyBag]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}\PropertyBag]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}\PropertyBag]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}\PropertyBag]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}\PropertyBag]

I also have a solution for this problem which had worked for me very well. It includes installing a Microsoft update which solves the problem more efficiently.
    1. Uninstall the KB980408 update from Microsoft and reboot your system.
    2. Now reinstall the same KB980408 update in your system and reboot your computer.
    3. Delete all the registry entries which are mentioned in the above post.
    4. Do the final restart and you will find your problem solved.
    5. The KB uninstall/reinstalled might sound unnecessary to you but that is what have solved the same problem in my laptop. Also it is compulsory to Re-install your computer when it is mentioned to do so.

Thank you, guys. You people really came like a life saver for me. The “Item not found. Verify the item's location and try again” error message had given me enough of head ache. But now with the help of you great people I was able to permanently get rid of it. Deleting those registry entries solved my issue. After deleting the registry entries I just restarted my computer and was pleased to see that the problem got solved. Seriously Hats off to you guys, who are doing the great job of helping people like me without any personnel profit. Once again Thank you for your assistance.

Ok folks I need some super tech experience to help me on this. I've been around the net for many many weeks trying to resolve this issue. I have two (now THREE) folders I cannot delete from my desktop. I've tried deleting registry entries, Uninstalling KB980408 from My Microsoft Updates (I didn't actually have that update listed). I've tried deleting the corrupted files via cmd prompt. I've tried "unlocker" several times. Nothing will kill these cockroach "empty and unnameable" folders from my desktop. The fact that somehow I've acquired a THIRD one indicates I've got a pattern of this happening that I don't at least know how to clean off. the offending files appear as follows when I pull them up under the cmd prompt :
    FOREXX~1
    POSITI~1
    STOCK~1
    These were all folders created while using Camtasia in a video screen capture production process. I can't remove these dead folders from my desktop and it is driving me absolutely CRAZY..

Pleeeeeeseee Help!!

At any cost please don’t open such folders because it might have happen that there may be a virus associated with the same. So know what I want you to do here is that just install an updated antivirus on the system and then scan your whole system I am sure if the folders are affected with virus then it will definitely able to remove the same.

Austin Power,

Thank you for your reply. Yesterday I did finally resolve the problem. Just so you know I do run a current antivirus package (Bitdefender 2010). I've done a complete antivirus check, defragmented the hard drive, a complete tune up etc. etc. No issues with viruses etc. I paid $26 for a piece of software that apparently used to be freeware. DelnivFile eradicated the problem immediately. Would have preferred a "cheaper" solution but based on the time spent trying to run down a solution I spent multiples more than that already. The files are gone and if I have the problem again I now have the tool to kill it.. Thanks and to all who search for a cure to this problem I hope this post finds you well..