Thread: How to delete the frequent list from Windows Explorer

How to delete the frequent list from Windows Explorer

Windows 7 Operating system is running in my Dell Laptop. Everything is working smoothly in my system. The only thing which is bothering me is the frequent lists, which exist whenever I am working on Windows Explorer. I don’t want any guest to my laptop to see all the files that I had visited in past or was working on. Does anyone know how can I make it possible to complete clear this frequent list or make is disable if possible? Please help me.

Re: How to delete the frequent list from Windows Explorer

You can easily delete the frequent list from your Windows Explorer. You just need to follow the following steps to solve your problem:
    • Right click on the Start button.
    • Select Properties option from the right-click menu.
    • Uncheck both the options under the privacy section and Apply the settings.
    • Click on OK button.
    • Remember that this setting is global and will apply to all the programs that are pinned to the taskbar.

If you wish to alter the figure of recent items that are displayed in the list, you can do that by following the below steps:
    1. Right click Windows logo on the bottom left side of your screen.
    2. Select Properties
    3. You will find customize button on the right upper corner of the properties window. Just click on it.
    4. This will open a new menu which can be used to change the settings of the recent list.
    5. Go to the “Number of recent items to be showed in Jump Lists” option to controls the amount of items that you wish to display. You can either increase or decrease the list as per your wish.
    6. Save the settings by click on OK button.

Hey guys thank you a lot for your quick replies. It was very generous of you guys to help someone complete strange to you. The replies were exactly the same as I wanted and was looking for. Please guys, keep continuing the good work which you guys have been doing by helping others without any personnel profit. Once again Thank you a lot. I am looking forward to this forum. Will surely come back to this forum whenever I am facing any more problems.

You can also get rid of the following list by editing the Registry key entries.
    Go to Start (Windows Orb in Windows 7) and type regedit on the Search box. The program shortcut will appear, click on it to start the Registry Editor window.
    • Navigate to the following path by clicking on + sign to enter each folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
    • Select the Start_JumpListItems from the right-pane and double click to edit it. It contains the registry value for the frequent items that appear on the list:
    • Set Start_JumpListItems to F or 15 if you want to display maximum of 15 frequent items.
    • Set Start_JumpListItems to 1 if you wish to show only 1 frequent item.
    • Set Start_JumpListItems to 0 if you want to disable the frequent item list in Windows Explorer permanently.