Thread: location tab is missing in Windows 7

location tab is missing in Windows 7

Hi, I was running Windows XP in my system and recently after reading lots of positive reviews about the Windows 7 Operating System, installed it in my Dell laptop. After installing the Windows 7 OS, the first thing I noticed was that the location tab in My Documents was missing. I was unable to find out where and why the location tab went missing. Does anyone know what must be the reason behind this unusual nature of Windows 7? Please help me.

Re: location tab is missing in Windows 7

Presuming that you have just installed the windows 7 in your Dell laptop, it might be possible that the installation files or the installation CD was corrupt and that is why some of the features of Windows 7 were not properly installed in your system. So it would be better if you reinstall the Windows 7 Operating system in your laptop. Please always use genuine Microsoft Windows 7 installation CD to install the original genuine OS in your system. This will probably deduct the chances of installing some corrupt files in your system.

You are unable to find the location tab in your systems My Documents because you might not have logged in your laptop from the Administrator’s account. The normal users are not privileged with all the rights so it might be possible that because you have logged in from some normal user, all the features are not being disclosed to you. Try logging in through the Administrator account and then check out whether you are still facing the problem or not.

Thank you, guys for showing concern towards my problem and trying to help me solve my issues by replying to my post. But unfortunately nothing seems to be working for me at this moment. I have installed a genuine Windows 7 in my system, and the installation happened error-free, so there must be no issue with the installation. And also, I am the only user of my laptop and have only one account, thus I am only the Administrator of my laptop. Logging from admin account is also not solving my problem. Still waiting for a solution. Please help me guys. Your suggestions are always appreciated.

You are unable to find the location tab in My Documents folder because the location tab does not exist in Windows 7. In windows 7, the My Document folder is integrated with the new Documents Library. A library can include many numbers of folders. By including a network location in this library, the work of saving the multiple folders in the computer library is eliminated. As you can directly store these files and folders in the network location. Thus making it easier for users to access all their documents, without even thinking much about where these files are located

You can set the network location by following the below steps:
    • Click on Windows Orb (Start button) and go to My Computer
    • Double click the C: drive and go to Users and then to "your profile"
    • Right click on My Documents and select the properties option from the list.
    • Now go to the location tab and set the network drive as per your convenience.
    • Click on Apply button. This will move everything in your My Documents to the new network location.