Thread: “The requested operation requires elevation" error message after installing Windows 7

“The requested operation requires elevation" error message after installing Windows 7

I had saved few files (created in Open Office) and folders to my external hard drive before performing reinstallation of Windows 7 in my Dell laptop. I tried viewing some of the files today morning after installation of Windows 7 and to my surprise I was getting “the requested operation requires evaluation” error message. I don’t know what to do now. Does anyone know why this error message is displayed on my screen everytime I try to view those files? Please help me with your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Re: “The requested operation requires elevation" error message after installing Windows 7

I am not sure about this, but there is a possibility that proper installation of Windows 7 Operating System was not performed in your laptop. So it would be better if your try to reinstall the Windows 7 in your system and then check out whether you are facing the same error message when you try to open those Open Office files. Also it will be better if you have scanned your external hard disk and checked whether it has got any infection of not. It might be possible that those files might be corrupt because of which you are getting those error messages.

Re: “The requested operation requires elevation" error message after installing Windows 7

This solution has worked for few peoples. But, I am not sure whether it will help you view the files but I would recommend you to give this method a try. Copy those Open source files in your system and try to open with some other source. You can perform that by right-clicking on the file and selecting the open-with option from the list. A open-with window will appear, browse the source in which you wish to open the file in, like you can try opening the Open Office files in Notepad, Microsoft Words etc. Check whether you are able to view these Open Office files in notepad or MS Words.

It seems like the files which were saved on the external hard disk is still having the original permission and when you are attempting to access those files, the computer from which you are accessing those files is considering them foreign files, thus disallowing you from accessing them. You will have to take the original ownership of those files in order to open them and perform read/write operations. As you are unable to access them with your current permissions, you are getting the error message “The requested operation requires evaluation.”

You need to follow the below instructions to change the ownership of the files:
    • Right click the folder which contains the files and Go to the properties option
    • Click on the security tab and go to the Advanced option.
    • Click Owner tab in the new window
    • Click on the Edit option
    • Edit window will appear, so select the account name in the Change owner option.
    • Select the checkbox “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and click OK button

It seems like “The requested operation requires elevation" error message is a common problem among Windows users. I also went through this irritating error message and after researching a lot on Internet in different forums and blogs, I realized that this is some User Account Control (UAC) issue. What you need to do is just set the UAC notifications to “Never Notify”. This will by itself take care of this error message. Or else you can perform the above mentioned process on you external drive as well and check whether the problem is solved or not.