Thread: Unable to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 from Windows vista

Unable to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 from Windows vista

Hi, I have been running 64 bit version Windows Vista in my Dell computers from a while and it is working perfectly fine. After using Windows Vista all this month I decided to upgrade and replace it by the latest Windows 7 64-bit version in my system. I performed the upgrading and everything went smoothly until it prompted for Reboot. I rebooted my laptop and now it has got stuck in the Reboot loop and is not completing the upgrading. I wasted my so many hours in this upgradation and the system is showing error in the last minute. Does anyone know what must b the reason behind this? Please help me solving the problem.

Re: Unable to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 from Windows vista

It is highly possible that there must be some issue with the upgrading kit which you used to update your Windows Vista to Windows 7. Just for clarification I would like to know whether you are using licensed and genuine version of 64 bit Windows Vista in your system and whether the upgrading kit is also licensed version or not? It is always recommended to use the licensed version of Windows rather than using any non-licensed version of Windows in your system. You can upgrade the original, licensed and genuine Windows easily. So make sure whether your Windows meets the requirements.

I also faced this problem in past and was able to find one solution which worked for me. You can atleast give it a try, who knows it might do the trick for you as well. Start your Laptop and got to the BIOS settings you will find “RAID on” or “AHCI” mode which will be having setting as “SATA Operation”. (you should remember that the SATA Operation setting is good for installing Windows 7 and creating image files). It will give the best Disk performance when every hardware and software is working fine, but it won’t function that efficiently when it comes to restore the image from The Windows Server. You can fix the problem by setting back the BIOS settings to ATA in BIOS and allowing the Windows image to load again in your system. Now the Windows 7 will be installed without much issue. Once the settings are done, you can later download the AHCI drivers as per your machine specification and install it. Remember before you start your Windows 7; change the BIOS setting after you are done installing the AHCI driver in your system.

Hey guys thank you for your concern and for giving me some quick replies. But unfortunately nothing seems to be working for me at present. I have genuine and licensed version of Windows Vista installed in my Dell laptop and also the Upgrade Kit that I am using to upgrade my Windows Vista to Windows 7 seems to be working fine. I tried the upgradation many time by now, and the system gets stuck in the same reboot page. This thing is really frustrating me now. Does anyone has got any better solution then please help me. Your solutions will be appreciated.

I was having the same issue and was unable to upgrade my Windows Vista to Windows 7 and was unsuccessful to solve the issue. So the only solution which worked for me was rolling back the corrupt installed file and Performing System repair to install the earlier working Windows Vista and the older applications in my system. So I would also suggest the same for you as this will completely remove the corrupt incomplete files which were installed during the time of upgrading.
    • Insert the Windows installation disc and Restart your laptop.
    • Select the language settings, and click Next.
    • Select the “Repair your computer” option.
    • Now you will be prompted to select the Operating System you wish to repair, Select that and click on Next button.
    • Select the Recovery tool you wish to perform in your system.

The exact cause of your problem is not known to me. So according to me it is better that you get your Dell laptop checked in some service center. I would recommend you to contact the nearest Dell Customer Care Center and make an appointment there to get your laptop fixed. If it is under warranty period then you can get the problem fixed without spending some extra money, while if you don’t have the warranty, you have to pay the charges. But I am sure that the charges will be minimum.