Thread: Windows 7 boot.ini file overwrite

Windows 7 boot.ini file overwrite

Hi friends I am was using my new computer with windows XP only. But now I have purchased the new computer with Windows 7 after that some days I have installed windows Xp in that but after that windows xp install it has overwrites my windows 7 boot.ini file now m not able to run my windows 7. I have installed both the Operator system in separate partitions but I don’t know what went wrong. Please is there anyone who have proper solution regarding that then please help me with this issue.

Re: Windows 7 boot.ini file overwrite

I have read your problem. As you are trying to set up dual operating system then this problem is common. Because generally when we try to install the two Operating system sometimes it overwrites the boot.ini file from one of the Operating system generally it affects the Operating system which is installed first. Because of that we lose the access of that Operating system, to solve this problem I suggest you to Add boot option manually by adding multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 7 try this it will solve your problem.

Hey thank you for help for provided by you. As you have said I have tried to adding boot option manually by adding that line but after that also I am still facing the same problem. I don’t know what is the problem occurring behind that. Because in next week I have to make project on my computer. That is why I want to solve this problem as soon as possible. If you know any more idea about that then please reply me with proper solution, I will be very thankful to you.

Ok. If you are having the same problem after trying the solution provided by then I have more way to fix this problem. Run the windows 7 boot disk again and repair your windows 7 by selecting the repair option. Don’t install the fresh copy of windows 7. Because repairing the windows 7 will automatically replace boot.ini file and it will make it work again. After the repair is done then it will restart the computer. And you will be able to see both the option on starting of your computer. Hope this trick will works with your problem.

According to your given solution, I have repaired the windows 7 with windows 7 disk but after the repair is done windows 7 start working but windows Xp stopped working. I don’t know what is wrong with my computer. Now I don’t know what to do with this problem. Should I run my system with only one operating system or there is something wrong with my mother board? Or what can be the problem. Please help to figure out this problem as soon as possible.

Hi there I was having the same problem with my computer and I have spent so many days to solve this problem. After doing so many researches I finally got the solution for that
    • First remove the windows7 from your system (do backup first)
    • After that you need to remove Windows Xp also.
    • Now reinstall the windows Xp first and after that install the windows 7.

Now it will not delet any boot.ini files and you will be able to run both operating system.