Thread: Do I need a swap file for a 4GB memory computer in windows 7

Do I need a swap file for a 4GB memory computer in windows 7

A few weeks before I read somewhere that I can totally disable the swap file(s) in Windows 7 if there is sufficient (4 GB) physical memory. So I gave it an attempt and immobilized all swap files and it exertions! Even improved I feel a bit speedup (especially at shutdown). So why is this recommendation approximately unidentified? Can there be circumstances where I require swap file(s) anyhow? Please someone help me to solve this unknown issue.

Re: Do I need a swap file for a 4GB memory computer in windows 7

I think that the swapfile is at a standstill necessary in certain features of Windows error reporting like for cases in the case of a system stoppage that creates a BSOD, I think that the swap file is necessary to write the error information properly in order for the put files to be shaped. As well I don't think that it would create any performance squalor, nor in the case of its lack any performance improvements, apart from that occasionally I think it can become fragmenting and possibly in those instances may humiliate system performance to a few extent.

Here I just wish to add something in this case. As lengthy as your page file is as a minimum 200 MB, error information can at a standstill be written. Including to others recommendations over, you can securely split your page file to approximately 30 percent your total RAM ability, so 1 GB would work well. Since you previously have 4 GB of RAM, there's no advantage to having an enormous page file. I just Hope this will help you to solve your issue.

I have 4 GB of RAM and don’t have any swap file. It is a personal choice but greatest thing is to remove all swap files and notice how it goes. If you have a few applications that require it after that at the most horrible they will complain or fall over and you will have to make one. If you have no troubles then you have saved disk space alike to (default value) 6 GB. It is as well worth knowing that there are a few programs regarding which utilize swapfile with no checking if they truly require to so invoking needless disk transfers. The point about log files is a suitable one but if an error is a "one-off" then you possibly wouldn't be concerned regarding debagging it and if it becomes recurring then you can re-enable swapfile to grasp the next incidence.

I for myself have swap file although I have 12 GB of memory. My operating system is as well on a 1.5 Terra Byte drive of which I am just utilizing about 70 GIG of and that includes the swap file. I would advise you keep the Swap File except your drive is very petite or approximately full. If it is almost full I would recommend a larger Drive. In today's market a 1 Terra byte drives are the standard on the majority machines. The space saved by removing a swap file on a big drive would be fewer 1 or 2 percent of the drives size. In my mind the query is arguable.

One more frequently overlooked problem is having a swap file enable is a good hiding place for viruses, as they can write to it and the majority real-time scanners don’t ensure swap files at all because of performance hits on the system, enabling the clearing of page files on reboot assists that but adds enormous delays on shutdowns. Personal option is disabling it completely, has completed with and without it for lots of years and in the majority cases while it’s been on it hasn’t helped one jot.