Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Restore default hidden and system file attributes in XP

Operating Systems

Old 19-04-2011

question Restore default hidden and system file attributes in XP

Would love someone's help on this one...

I was working on a compuer that had a virus that marked pretty much every file as "hidden" and "system" so of course the easy way out was to do this:

ATTRIB -S -H /S /D C:\*.*

So now every file on the hard drive can be seen. The virus is gone but I'd like to restore the defaults for files such as "thumbs.db" and .ini files so they don't appear like the other files in directories.

I've tried this:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

Thank you!

Old 20-04-2011

Re: Restore default hidden and system file attributes in XP

I was also facing the similar kind of problem and the thing here is that when I followed this link I got the perfect solution over the similar problem. So I want you to just try this one whether it helps you to get all the file attributes of yours. I hope it works for you and get you the appropriate solution.
Old 21-04-2011

Thank you for the response. It doesn't look like that will apply for my situation with XP.

The only other recommendation I have so far from a different forum is to run an XP repair install. I haven't done this yet because the computer is in a different location (I was working remotely) but I've been told this will take care of it.
Old 21-04-2011

I think that the super secret Sys volume information folder is easily shown using folder options/view/hide protected system files. You untick it. You can recover files from a dead volume, but you don't know about folder options? :O

Anyway, make sure this is now ticked. Or try this:
http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ttributes.html
Old 25-10-2011

You could try
attrib +h +s thumbs.db /s

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,