Thread: How to run VLC as root?

How to run VLC as root?

As the title is suggesting itself what I am going to ask over here. Well I have installed VLC player on the system of mine. I am repeating again I want to launch the VLC on the computer as a root. But I am not having any idea how can I get the same? I have searched on the Google but I have but not found anything which I can apply. Let me know if you are having any workaround to meet the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to run VLC as root?

Well I have used the following command on the computer of mine.
    Code:
    vlc --as-root
    however it did not working at all. Its is prompting following error message on the screen. ‘VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
    If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
    you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
    cannot be run by non-trusted users first).’ However I have managed to solve the problem on the temporary basis. Currently I am using totem to get the same.

Well looking at the situation which you provided over here. I am suggesting the following command which you can use to meet the requirement of yours. You should copy and paste the following command on the terminal and press enter from the keyboard.
    Code:
    sudo vlc-wrapper
    I am hoping that the command which I have mentioned over here would be helpful to meet the requirement of yours.

I am suspecting that you are unable to understand thing at all. Well according to me it is automatically using the user which is invoked sudo on the computer . as far as I know it could not become the root itself on the computer. So according to me the root user of the computer can automatically launch the VLC player into root of the computer. There is nothing like Flag which you can use to get the requirement of yours.

I have used the following command on the terminal of the computer of mine.
    Code:
    su - YOURUSER_NOT_ROOT -c 'vlc'
    Well I recommend that you should copy and paste the above mentioned command on the terminal and tell me the results of the same.

I am suspecting that this particular thing is occurring due to corruption of the file. I am suggesting that you should completely uninstalled the QuickTime from the computer and restart the computer. After doing the same you should installed the same on the computer. According to me it is the most efficient solution which you can use to solve the problem of yours. Let me know whether it helped you out or not.

timmccullen Guest

Did you try Sudo?