Thread: switching the x-fi fatal1ty card from an XP system to a vista 64 bit system

switching the x-fi fatal1ty card from an XP system to a vista 64 bit system

I just recently purchased a new computer system that has vista 64 bit. I want to use my x-fi fatal1ty sound card in this new system. The card use to be in an old XP system (home edition). I can't seem to be able to download any drivers for it from the creative website. It gives me the message that there are no new updates. I also tried to select other operating systems and I got the same message. Can anyone tell what I need to do to download drivers to run this thing on my vista 64 bit system?

Re: switching the x-fi fatal1ty card from an XP system to a vista 64 bit system

Hi, I use the x-fi fatility extreme gamer, I think you need to install the vista driver cd first, otherwise you won't get the Creative console launcher, not sure if you really need it or not. Then use the Autoupdate function under downloads to get the driver, manually doing does not work and is another thing creative don't want to work apparently. However once you have alchemy and all the new drivers installed, you will find that the sound quality and features are not as good as xp. I don't think creative are interested in making any x-fi card work perfectly in vista because they have the x-fi2 coming out.

Install the newest driver. The blue GUI mode switcher and fancy controls you have to install after the driver, but this only comes with the vista cd, which comes with the sound card when you but it. Otherwise you can just use the normal audio console. Install alchemy if you play games with use EAX. My X-Fi Fatality Pro card worked just fine in windows XP. I installed Vista 64/SP1 yesterday on a clean install and wanted to load up the drivers for the card and can't get it to work.

I emailed creative and they responded back with the link to download the x-fi fatality pro drivers for vista 64 (not sure why I couldn't find from their website it on my own). So far it seems to be working. I've listened to internet music and it sounds the same as my previous xp system. I still have to test it in gaming. You do not get the fancy gui though. You have to order a vista install. CD for that. However, you still get a console application that lets you set everything you normally would with the fancy gui. You can get the vista install. CD free (+shipping ~$5) from creative. The link to order that is below. Good luck.

Wow I'm actually shocked; they will send you the cd for free. I would have thought they would charge for it. This is a step in the right direction creative. I was going to suggest download a torrent but you have to be careful with that, keylogger, viruses etc. I was using xp when I gave you that link and it looked to work fine for that, so guess that auto update problem is with vista, although I did use it very recently to update my own vista installation so maybe it's just a temporary thing.

It looks like they may have taken some short cuts for the vista 64 application. The eax effects are disabled when I play Fear. So it doesn't sound the same or as good as when I had it on xp. Also, I think it may be affecting the performance of the game. That may also just be a vista 64 thing (or both). Not really sure. I was using the onboard audio and I was getting a consistent fps of ~30 in the Fear test not matter what settings and resolution I set. I have an intel E6850 (3ghz), 780i mobo, 2x8800 gts 512, and 4 gig 1066 gskill. I should be getting well over 100 fps with this set-up. Playing online seems a little choppy. I'm getting 3dmark scores of ~12000 for single card and ~14000 for sli, which seems about right. I haven't done fps tests in ut3 or crysis yet (not sure how to do it in ut3 and haven't looked yet it crysis).

I did find that out a little while ago. So now I have it enabled in F.E.A.R. By the way, have you had problems running FEAR in vista 64? When I do the FPS test in FEAR, it always stays pegged at ~38, no matter what settings or resolution I use. It seems to be running a little choppy when I play on line. I should be getting well over 100 FPS w/ my setup: intel e6850, 8800 gts 512 x 2, nforce 780i, 4 gb ddr1066, etc. Also, do you know how to get a fps for UT3 and crysis?