Thread: Windows 7 Showing Not Existing Phantom Floppy Drive

Windows 7 Showing Not Existing Phantom Floppy Drive

I recently updated my system to Windows 7229 and I noticed that there's a floppy drive that is showing up now. This is really strange because I don't have one installed. Also I would tell you that the only response that I got was that it might be the BIOS that are causing the problem. Well I knew that wasn't the issue for me, and double checked it just to be sure. So can you please tell me on how to go about this issue?

Re: Windows 7 Showing Not Existing Phantom Floppy Drive

I just had a look at the question that you have posted and I would tell you that I actually have had the phantom floppy since Windows Vista days and on 7137 I got a this new phantom CD drive. It has been really fine with me until now and it hasn’t given any problem to me at all. Though I suspect it really is a BIOS settings issue. I would just wait until the RTM to see if it still work or not and also it is a bit easy to disable.

I was going through the question that you have put up and would ask you that have you checked all the BIOS settings? This is because I doubt that you have done this. And I would also tell you that this is due to some problem in the BIOS settings. What I would say is that the basic CMOS settings will have the floppy and hard drives. And you might have to manually set it to disabled if it somehow thinks you have one.SO this is what you need to do and then I am sure that your problem will be solved immediately

I think that the above solution is absolutely perfect and would tell you that once you manually set it to disabled then on the advanced or maybe chipset page there is sometimes another one or two enabling floppy drives and boot-up floppy seek. Also to go further if there is a cable in the FDD channel on the motherboard then that could confuse it. So just remember this thing and then everything will be fine with you.Even I feel that this is what you need to do to solve the query immediately.

I would say that there may be some chances that this can’t be a BIOS issue. And if it really isn't a BIOS issue then the only thing I could imagine is that there is another thing on your motherboard that Windows is confusing with a Floppy drive. If such is actually the case then you need to remember that you have the latest drivers for your motherboard's chipset and controllers. So this is what you need to do to fix the issue that you are facing.