Thread: Requirements to install Mac OS X Lion

Requirements to install Mac OS X Lion

Hi, I am using Apple Mac book pro which is running Mac OS X Snow leopard in it. I recently came to know that the new version of Mac OS X Lion 10.7 has been released in the market. So I was planning to upgrade my current OS to Mac OS X Lion 10.7. I wanted to know more about it like what are the requirements which I have to fulfill, so that I will be able to install it in my laptop without much issue. Does anyone know anything about this matter? Please help me.

Re: Requirements to install Mac OS X Lion

You did not mention anything about your laptops specification. It would have been much better and easier to help you if I had the basic idea about your system specifications. I am not sure, but it can run on a wide range of laptops and desktop PC. But as it the upgraded version of Mac OS, I am sure It’s hardware resources need will be higher than the previous versions. The RAM requirements will be high to handle all the multitasking works. Upgradation will surely be required.

Sorry for not giving the complete details in my original post. I taught you would be able to make out my laptop specifications after reading that I am using a Mac Book Pro. I have Intel Core 2 duo processor, Intel E7000 motherboard and 2GB or RAM. So I want to know can I install Mac OS X Lion 10.7 in my laptop. Or do I need to upgrade my hardware so something better than this, so that I can easily install the new OS without problems. Suggestion will be appreciated. So please help.

These are the minimum requirements to install the new version of Mac OS X Lion 10.7:
    • The system must have Intel Core 2 Duo or better i.e. Intel core i3, i5, i7. It won’t work on Core AMD as the OS is not compatible with them.
    • You will be able to run the OS with 2GB RAM but there are chances that some problems might occur, so it’s better to have the recommended 4GB RAM.
    • How can we miss the Graphic card? If you are using Intels then probably you have to get rid of them or be ready to have glitches in your system. Either Nvidia or ATI Radeon graphics card is recommended.

If you are one of those people who don’t want to make another partition or upgrade your existing Mac OS X 10.6, you can run the Mac OS X Lion 10.7 in virtual machine with VMWare. Though it is recommended for only technical inclined Mac users.
    • Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview which can be downloaded from Apple’s official site.
    • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X
    • Thought it is optional, but it is recommended to use high storage RAM (mostly 4GB or 8 GB for power users.)
    • And the most important thing, lots of patience, as it takes little more time to install and need to be kept updated.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. They really helped me. My Mac book pro meets up almost all the requirements so there won’t be much trouble installing the new Mac OS X Lion. I never knew we can run the OS in virtual machines by using the VMWare software. I will surely try this also, but only in my desktop PC, as it requires high system requirements and my laptop won’t be able to run the Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview smoothly. Will surely ask coming back to this forum to clarify my doubts.