Thread: Battery icon and volume icon missing from notification area

Battery icon and volume icon missing from notification area

Hi, I am having a dell inspiron laptop with windows 7 installed in it. Few days before my nephew was playing game in the laptop. Recently when I was working in my laptop I found that the volume icon, battery icon and the network connection icon are missing from the notification area. The volume is set too low so I can’t even listen to music and I don’t know how to get back these icons. The laptop shuts down without any notification of “low battery”. how can I get back the battery icon. Can anybody please tell me what should I do.

Re: Battery icon and volume icon missing from notification area

There is nothing to worry about. Just right click the mouse button of your laptop in the task bar and then click properties. You will see the task bar and start menu properties opens. Here click on the customize button. You will see a list of all the icons that appear in the notification area. Now check if the battery icon, volume icon and network connection icons are enabled. If not, then enable them and click ok.

Someone might have disabled the display properties of the battery and volume icon. Windows 7 hides most of the tray icons by default. So first check whether the icons are hidden or not by clicking on the small arrow present in the right bottom corner of the taskbar. If you don’t find the icons there, then go to the task bar and start menu properties by doing right click on the task bar. Here select properties and then select the start tab on the top. Here click on the customize button and select the icons you want to be displayed in the notification area.

You can also restore the icons that are missing from the notification area with the help of group policy editor. Run the GPedit.msc command. It starts the Local group policy Editor. Go to User Configuration then Administrative Templates then start menu and task bar. change the values next to power icon, volume icon and network to disable. Close the group editor policy window, log off and again log on to the system

The battery, volume and network icons are missing from the notification area because the icon has been disabled or the drivers are not installed. If you are sure that all the drivers are working properly then just go to the task manager, choose explorer.exe and click end process. From the task manager again restart the windows explorer. You can even log off and again log on. See if the icons appear in the notification area.