Thread: Windows RAM 4GB but using 3GB

Windows RAM 4GB but using 3GB

Hello. I recently upgraded my Operating System to Windows Vista on my personal Computer . RAM has space of 4 giga bytes but when I look into system properties , it shows me to around 3 giga bytes. Also, I rechecked that all the drivers are completely installed. Why such a thing is is happening. Is it a very big issue? What should I do now? How can I fix it. I am really very tensed about it. Please guide.

Re: Windows RAM 4GB but using 3GB

I would like to tell you that you first confirm that is it the ultimate edition of the windows vista that you have installed. Also, I would like to put to your notice that to be aware of all the 4 GB of Ram, you got to have a 64 bit Operating System. It all depends on what hardware you have installed. Address space is used by hardware and in case Ram space is wasted, there will be no address space to map it.

Hi. There isn’t anything that you can do for the concern that you have mentioned. The reason is that boot camp doesn’t allow 64 bit windows, hence you use 32 bit windows and thus you can lesser see the amount of RAM that you mentioned and not correctly which you are expected too. I would tell you that if you are using a 64 bit system, the best way is to use as much memory as possible, which is feasible.

Looking at the above posts, I would like to go one step further and give you detailed information. Go to start, run and type resmon and click ok. Then take your cursor to memory tab and gaze through physical memory section. Thus a striking design will be displayed on the screen giving details of the memory usage. I would suggest you to keep this, the way it is , don’t alter anything and leave the rest to system, it will take care of it.

32 bit Windows Operating System keeps away 1 or 2 GB for the system hardware itself and about 1 or 2 GB for the remainder of the applications and also not to miss out on the video card memory. So, on a whole in most of the cases as we see , you will be able to see only 3 GB RAM. Also, considering other points, there are some basic input output systems that are shadowed by Intel’s structural design.